Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR

Go down 
+16
simon porter
poissonbracket
DenisMc
Chris S
Dave McC
MancPete
Kears10
Slackbladder
Simonds
Greg Hall
Daniel Rennocks
Sijkd1
Alan Beckett
Kemlyn
jimmyfatwing
Dennis
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR   Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 12 May 2010, 10:30

Some more pics....

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Denteachingstrangle-s
[Den demonstrates on Steve]

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 DavestranglesChris
[Chris working on strangles with Dave]

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Dendemonstratingstrangledefence-s
[Den showing a defence with Greg]

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR   Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 12 May 2010, 22:45

Greg presented a masterful session on grappling for the street

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Greghold-down
[Greg explains a hold on Nick]

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 WolfieinactionasGregmonitors
[Greg monitors as Wolfie works on a technique]

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Classgrappling
[The lads get stuck into the training.]

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 GregandSi
[Greg and Si chatting during the course]

Greg has instructor credentials in numerous methods, including several grappling systems. His many years on doors have given him the practical experience to discern what works. He has taken the most street-relevant material and formulated a system that can be taught to motivated participants.
Everyone loved the stuff, and I'm sure will be including it in their regular training.
Greg can be reached here

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Sijkd1
Instructor
Sijkd1

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR   Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 13 May 2010, 09:51

Couldn't agree more - Greg is an outstanding, fighter (all round), instructor and motivator...........

I would think that anyone in the Manchester area would be remiss not to pop over there for a session!

Si
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR   Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 13 May 2010, 10:10

Slacky presented a module on Clinch/counter-clinch. This was based on the adaptation of Graeco-Roman wrestling, as researched by Southnarc.

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 SlackyandPhilheadcontrol-secure
[Slacky demonstrates head control]

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Slackymonitorstheclass
[Slacky monitors as Steve and Mark work on the clinch]

Southnarc's curriculum contains much brilliant material on tool access, as well as control of the opponent's weapons.

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Slackydemosecure-s
[Here Slacky and Phil show such a control technique. Phil has also trained extensively with Southnarc, and his input on the course was greatly appreciated]

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Greg Hall
Instructor
Greg Hall

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR   Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 13 May 2010, 11:51

Cheers Den and Si,

The feedback was very positive, glad everyone liked it.
There s plenty more where that came from.

See you guys soon!
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR   Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 13 May 2010, 18:57

The final session of the day was presented by Si Squires, who ensured the guys had various grappling experiences, which had to be overcome. Grit and determination were very much the requirement.

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Sidemonstrating
[Si explains an escape as Pete applies a strangle]

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 SiandJames
[Si with James]

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 GregandSidemo
[Si and Greg exchange ideas]

As is usual with Si's sessions, this was arduous...
Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 TonyandIan
[Here Tony and Ian during the class....only another thirty minutes to go!]

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Nick Engelen

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR   Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 19:33

Current threats countermeasures seminar organized by Dennis Martin

On the morning of 8 May 2010 my alarm went off at 6.00 AM to get prepared for my travel to the UK. Everything packed and ready I pulled on one of my trainers. Seemed something was in the shoe that didn’t belong there so I pulled it off and kept it upside down. What came out looked similar to the chocolate hail-like stuff people put on their bread. I wouldn’t recommend anyone to try these however as it seems some mouse used my trainer as a loo. Quickly changing shoes I went on my way to the airport. The airport was crowded and I was a bit worried I wouldn’t get trough check in on time. Fortunately a nice employee at the airport helped me out with the self check and I was on my way. In the UK travel with public transport was an adventure on its own. I arrived at the hotel, checked in and after a little nap in my room I went outside to find Den and some of the guys doing the instructors course having a beer on the terrace. It was very nice to see everybody again after almost half a year and we had nice conversations over a couple of drinks and a meal before retiring for the night.

Next morning after breakfast we travelled to the Prescot Leisure centre.

Inside the venue there was an air of excitement. I was happy to see a lot of familiar faces, friends I hadn’t seen for a long time.

After everyone had paid, the course started.

The course started with a warm-up by Steve, one of the Liverpool Gutterfighters.

With everyone a bit sweaty and breathing heavily, Den explained that as we the day of today face different threats as when he started out we should train for this scenario. One of the changes seen is that in the old days you rarely had to confront a trained guy. These days lots of the ‘bad’ guys are training hard in fitness, bodybuilding and mixed martial arts. Facing the skilled, trained and physically fit guy is one of today’s challenges. To me this is a bit similar to Fairbairn who had to face the ‘Green gang’, a gang founded by an ex-Shaolin-monk.

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Strangledrills
[Den monitors as the guys work on the drills]

This led into Simon telling a story about one of his friends in a bar being jumped from behind, taken into a rear naked strangle and waking up with some paramedics around him. This story led us into having a look into this rear naked strangle also called the Japanese strangle or sleeper hold. At first we practised this sitting where after we did some standing variations.

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Classworkonstrangles

After having a good grasp of how the strangle was applied we went into countermeasures. First of all is awareness Den explained. After that we used various tactics to defeat the strangle.

This evolved into various drills.
Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Stevenecktwisttakedown
[Steve works on a drill with Si]

After this Greg Hall a guest instructor with a vast experience in various martial arts and door work in Manchester taught a module on groundwork. The module went into various pins and transitions where after we went into some escapes. The material was excellent and well presented. I learned a lot from it, not the least because I was the uke for the demonstrations.
Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Gregdemo-2
[Greg demonstrating]

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 NickworkswithSteve
[Nick working with Steve]

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 PeteholdsPeter
[Peter hold down Pete]

This was followed by an excellent presentation on clinch, counter clinch work and knife by Slackbladder. Who gave credit for the material to SouthNarc who has researched and adapted Greco/Roman wrestling. The big problem with grappling is that a knife can get involved at any time and as you are tied up it’s a big problem. This module taught us about tool access and how to control the tool.
Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Slackydemo-2

In between we had some short welcomed breaks and a short ceremony in which the new instructors received their certificate.

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 DenisandDave
[Denis and Dave from the Edinburgh Gutterfighters rehydrate]

Last but not least Simon Squires took us through some task oriented fitness drills. In grappling and especially on the ground fitness and strength are both very important. Simon first started off showing an escape from the rear naked choke, after drilling this we worked up to more grit and determination requiring drills. By this time the room was like a sauna. Being exhausted already I had to go outside for some fresh air and a cool drink. After coming back we went through some more drills really testing our resolve.
Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Sidemo-2
[Si during his presentation]

To close of the day we did a review of what we had learned with a training partner and some stretching before a group session of positive self talk.

After changing our soaked and sweaty clothes and cleaning up a bit most of went to the Chinese restaurant Chung Ku in town. The food was delicious, the tea was great and the waitresses looked gorgeous.

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Posttrainingdrink
[The guys have a refreshing drink at the hotel]

Next morning I started packing, my training top was soaking wet when I took it out of my training bag to tidy things up in my bag so everything would fit in nicely for my travel back to Belgium. Most guys will have been massively dehydrated and I plan to make sure to bring more fluids with me next time.

After packing I went to the restaurant and enjoyed a chat over breakfast with Dave and Chris before catching a train to Liverpool city centre to meet Den for a coffee. After some nice chat about the seminar and various other subjects we said our goodbye and I moved to Manchester to take a slightly delayed flight home.

Despite it all starting with mouse droppings it was a great weekend with superb presentations, great people to train with, to eat with and to talk to. Thank you all very much.

The End

By

Nick Engelen
Back to top Go down
Ben
Instructor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR   Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 15 May 2010, 18:33

Congratulations to all the new instructors. I enjoyed all your presentations on the Saturday.
the Instructional Enhancment day as a whole was as informative and useful to me as it was the first time round.
Well done to everyone too for the immense physical effort they put in at the end. Running with Dave is demanding to say the least!

My apologies for not being there on the Sunday. I can see from the AAR that I missed a great day. A combination of illness, lack of sleep and lack of a car kept me away. I promise to man up in time for the International!
No doubt Wolfie will take me through the material over the next few weeks so at least I won't miss out entirely.

thanks,
Ben
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR   Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Current Threats Countermeasures Seminar + AAR
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2