Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9903
Registration date : 2007-06-27

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Empty
PostSubject: SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE   SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2015, 10:44

SPYDERCO TO THE RESCUE

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Profes11

In the article on Tactical Folding knives I mentioned that my first Spyderco was the CO-2 Mariner, a stainless-steel utility model, I bought it about 1990, and it is still being used around the house.
In 1990 Spyderco introduced the C14 Rescue knife, which was, basically, the Mariner with a Day-Glo orange FRN [Fibreglass reinforced Nylon] handle, designed for emergency service personnel, such as Paramedics, Fire-rescue, mountain-rescue and others who need to cut webbing, rope, and clothing safely.

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Marine12
[Top to bottom; Mariner, Rescue, Rescue/Assist]

In 2003 Spyderco further improved the design, with the C-79 Assist-Rescue model. While at the Mind’s Eye Shooting Program in Sweden Marcus gave me a sample, and I’ve been evaluating it since...... and it’s quickly become one of my favourite knives.

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Spyder10

What the Assist does is to take the main functions needed in a utility rescue knife, and added some great little tweaks, that give the overall package added functionality.
The following photos and captions will describe these functions in detail:

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Overvi10

The blade has the proven Spyderco serrations, with a plain section near the tip, for fine work, such as whittling triggers for traps, sharpening stakes etc

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Blade_10
The previous Mariner and Rescue has a Sheepsfoot tip, the new knife has a special blunt pry-tip for levering actions

The wire clip is skeletonised for maximum lightness, while still retaining the knife firmly while clipped to pocket, waistband, backpack, harness, med-kit, or, buoyancy aid. The clip is reversible for left/rightside tip-up carry.

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Clip_d10

The trademark Spyderco opening thumb-hole has been enlarged to accommodate gloved hands, and equipped with a Cobra hood, which both aids opening, and provides a platform for cutting pressure

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Cobra_10

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Conra_10

The rocker-lock has been given the Boye detent, which decreases the chances of inadvertent lock-release under maximum gripping pressure

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Lock_d10

The Rescue-Assist has a couple of features which operate with the blade closed.
As shown on the overview photograph, the back of the blade has a series of gripping waves. These aid in using these closed-blade functions.
Firstly, gripping the closed knife and squeezing deploys a carbide window breaking spike, designed to defeat vehicle plexiglass in a rescue situation....

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Window10

..... then, for cutting seat belt webbing, or, cordage one handed, the material is scissored between the blade and handle....

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Scisso10

.... this can be safer when working in close proximity to casualties, or, aboard a moving vehicle or boat...

The final feature is a built in whistle, for emergency signalling....

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Whistl10

I showed this knife to the guys at our International Combatives Seminar, and they were all impressed with the myriad of features....

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Den_kn10

The more I work with the Rescue-Assist the more uses I find for it. This knife is ideal for anyone employed in the emergency services, anyone who visits remote areas, anyone who goes boating or rafting, anyone in the military, or, indeed, anyone who needs a good practical knife which performs a multitude of tasks.

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE P7_and10

The Rescue-Assist should be a core part of your personal protection package.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Handle material FRN
Blade steel VG-10
Length overall 8 3/8" (213 mm)
Blade length 3 11/16" (94 mm)
Length closed 4 7/8" (124 mm)
Cutting edge 3 3/16" (81 mm)
Weight 4 oz (115 g)
Hole diameter 9/16" (14 mm)
Blade thickness 1/8" (3 mm)

--------------------------
SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Den_fi10
[Favourite kit, MP-5, P7 and Spyderco Rescue]

LINKS
For full details of this and other Spyderco products checkout their website here

The catalogue is well worth sending for, it’s chock full of good kit

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE Den_br10

Finally, thanks to Marcus for the knife
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com

SPYDERCO TO THE RECUE
Page 1 of 1