Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9903
Registration date : 2007-06-27

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Empty
PostSubject: DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT   DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2015, 10:32

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Live%20blades%20on%20mask_zpskhwqlgxx

One of the highlights of my stay in Japan in 1973 was the opportunity to have a series of meetings with Donn Draeger. Donn, who held senior grades in numerous Japanese martial arts, had made a series of research experditions to SE Asia, notably, Indonesia. While showing us films of the various fighting systems he had encountered I noticed several unsusual weapons, including a knife with a wicked curved blade. Donn put the fruits of his extensive research into his classic book Weapons+and+Fighting+Arts+of+indonesia]Weapons & Fighting Arts of Indonesia, in which he described the knife as follows:
"…Known as the karambit, it is a curving knife modeled after the Arab Jambia. It is gripped with the hilt perpendicular to the ground , thumb over the cap. The forefinger is inserted in a hole in the head of the hilt. The blade extends outward, convex surface to the right when held in the right hand. The karambit is used in an upward, ripping manner into the bowels of the victim.."
I forgot about the Karambit for several years, until the design started becoming popular here in the West. In this short article I’ll discuss the main features of the knife and it’s use.

KARAMBIT TYPES

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Kerambit_knife_and_sheath_zps733b3ad1

The Karambit, also spelled Kerambit was originally a fixed blade weapon, of varying size. Current offerings include the model crafted for blade master Ray Dionaldo by Jerry Hossom...

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Hossom%20trainer_zpsnhptm3f7

There is also a version from Cold Steel made from a plastic material, which has a decent point....

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Cold%20Steel%20on%20sticks_zpsti06yjnj

Since folding knives have become very popular it wasn’t long before folding versions of the Karambit appeared, like this Spyderco..

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Spyderco%20Kerambit_zpsnqdzxt4s

Ernie Emerson also produced a folder, and it his his design which I own...

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Kerambit%20detail_zpsrdrqognj

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Emerson%203%20best_zpsj8lvyxf3

You will have noticed the trainer in the above picture. It’s essential to have a dedicated training version of the live blade, for really realistic training.
I use an inexpensive plastic trainer for fixed-blade drills too...

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Kerambit%20with%20Redguns%202_zpstwrkg3pr

TECHNIQUES

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Reverse-grip%202_zpszb71udaz
[Reverse-grip]

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Forward%20grip%201_zpsjqha9cvc
[Forward grip]

The knife can be utilised in either Forward Grip, or, Reverse Grip, and lends itself well to the techniques from Escrima, as well as the original Pentjac-silat methods
The ring acts as an anchor for the grip, and can also be used as a fulcrum for a spin-strike.
Some designs have a “brake” built into the ring, to aide control when performing this spin...

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Kerambit%20brake_zpsxspdv4ao

The main spin is an upwards ripping strike...

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Extended%20grip%20text%20final_zpsxmdcsblf

The hooked blade lends itself well to various “can-opener” type stabs..

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Rip_zpshmb5uwjj

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Can%20opener%201_zpsgn2xnu0e

Additionally, it can hook a limb...

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Arm%20hook_zpsm9rea1zk

DISADVANTAGES
Compared to similar overall sized knives, the Karambit has a fairly short blade...

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Size%20comparison%20open_zpszwvz4aqz

Also, the ring can be a giveaway on the folder when carried clipped to the pocket..

DANGEROUS CURVES: THE KARAMBIT Kerambit%20in%20pocket_zpsju3conyx

TRAINING
The best source of training is Ray Dionaldo

Training Karambit available from Playwell

Thanks to Steve Callaghan and Sue King for help with the photography.
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dennis Martin's Combatives Community :: Articles :: Edged Weapons articles-
Jump to: