Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hello from the USA

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Hutchinson

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Hello from the USA Empty
PostSubject: Hello from the USA   Hello from the USA Icon_minitimeFri 21 Mar 2008, 22:45

Hello gentlemen,

What a great forum you have here. For many years I thought I was the only one in the world interested in this stuff. The depth of knowledge here is remarkable.

It all started for me back in the early 70's when I was a kid and saw "The Devil's Brigade", and was quite captivated by the portrayal of Pat O'Neil. A few years later in junior high school I got my first two books on close fighting, Fairbairn's "Get Tough" and Styers' "Cold Steel". And my interest has just kept growing ever since.

Along with WWII Combatives I have trained in hikuta for quite a few years, also iron palm techniques. I've long wondered if Fairbairn may have learned iron palm techniques from Ku Yu Cheong, the well-known master in the 1920's. The thumb-up edgehand strike used by WEF is also used in at least some styles of iron palm. Just a theory of course...

I look forward to learning from all of you.

Best wishes from New York, USA!

Fred
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Hello from the USA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from the USA   Hello from the USA Icon_minitimeSat 22 Mar 2008, 11:41

Welcome aboard Fred.
While it's interesting to speculate as to the origin of Fairbairn's techniques, I always find it more significant what he rejected, what he regarded as too complex, or, impractical. Which was about 80% of what he'd been formally taught.
Cheers,

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com

Hello from the USA
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dennis Martin's Combatives Community :: General forums :: Introductions-
Jump to: