Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gunner Sonsteby

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9911
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Gunner Sonsteby   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jul 2007, 22:27

From RoZA

Dear Dennis,
DSO Gunnar Sonsteby No 24, 88 years old, is Norway’s most decorated person ever, because of his efforts during WWII. He was the leader of the Oslo Gang. The Oslo Gang, was a gang of Norwegian SOE operatives and part of the Norwegian Independent Company (Company Linge). The Oslo Gang was called the best gang of saboteurs in whole Europe by Col. J.S. Wilson (SOE) and William J.M. Mackenzie.
Because of his heroic efforts against the Nazis, he became close friend with people like: Sir Colin Gubbins (SOE), Unger Vetlesen (OSS), William Colby (CIA/OSS) and William “Wild Bill” Donovan (OSS).

In the 60-ties Sonsteby wrote a book about his WWII actions, “Report from # 24”. This book’s epilogue is written by William J. Donovan personally. This is a very exiting true story book.

I have met Mr Sonsteby in several occasions, and have had exiting talks with him. Despite of his high age, he is still working in the Norwegian Defence Museum every day. Ola and I met him last time in late May, and I told him by you and your work with CQB Services. He then signed a copy of “Report from No 24” for you. If you can send me your address Dennis, I will send the book to you in the near future.

Epilogue of Report form No 24:
My wartime associate and friend Capatain Gunnar F.T. Sonsteby, formerly of the Royal Norwegian Army, is a man of fine intelligence, high character and exceptional qualities as a leader .
He showed these qualities as central control officer and chief of operations in the Norwegian underground organization in which he was an active force from the time of German occupation in 1940 until the end of the war.
He displayed sustained coolness and courage in leading a series of 17 attacks against German units and installations in the Oslo area from May to October 1944. These included (1) an attack on the German air depot and the destruction of 44 Nazi aircrafts; (2) with 2 helpers the destruction of a machine tool plant together with guns and machinery of the Kongsberg Arms Factory which was patrolled by 20 guards and protected by police dogs and land mines; (3) the invasion of German oil storage depots, destroying thousands of gallons of enemy oil.
In November 1944, after a special course of instruction in England he returned to Norway as chief of all sabotage operations in the region of which Oslo was center. In this position he not only won recognition for his executive and administrative ability but also for his skill, daring and imagination in the planning and the execution of raids.
Sonsteby was the only Norwegian who was awarded the Norwegian War Cross with two bars (now three, given 2005) –the highest award given by Norway during the war. On the return of the Royal Family in 1945 he was appointed Chief of the Royal Bodyguard. In recognition of his outstanding service, he was decorated by the British and United States governments.
In Norway he is held in high degree regard for his patrotism, his loyalty and his personal character.

WILLIAM J. DONOVAN
Major General, USA

Mr Sonsteby has his own nice internet web-page, with an English area as well. http://www.no24.no

Kindest regards
Ronny
===============================

From Den
Ronny
Outstanding! Many thanks for posting that very inspirational piece.
Norway can be very proud of their wartime SOE contribution. The Norsk Hydo raid is still studied by various Special Force training groups as the perfect mission. And, as you point out the Oslo Gang were the top sabotage unit.
I'd love a copy of the book, can you drop me an email to RealityCheckUK@Hotmail.com Cheers,
Den
==============================

From RoZa
Dennis,

Sonsteby was born in the village Rjukan where the Norsk Hydro Raid took part. He took part of planning the mission, but did not take part of the raid because of his close relations, parents, and friends in Rjukan.
Sonstebys father was taken as a hostage by Gestapo in 1944 when they knew his real identity, to try to make Sonsteby surrender.

By the way, the leader of SOE Operation Gunnerside (The Norsk Hydro Raid), Joakim Rønneberg is still living in Aalesund in the western Norway.

I will email you later Dennis.

Ronny
============================

From Ola
Hi Dennis,

I have just sent you the english version of the documentary about Gunnar Soensteby on DVD, you will probally have it in few days. Enjoy the film and the summer. See you in September.

Regards from sunny Oslo

Ola
============================

From Den
What a great few days.
Firstly the DVD documentary about Gunnar Soensteby arrived from Ola. It's in three parts, and I've watched the first two parts so far. It is, quite simply, superb.
Then a book I'd ordered on the advice of Ronny arrived. "Underwater Saboteur" is the story of Max Manus, another hero of the Norwegian SOE.
Today the book "Report from Number 24" arrived, and I was delighted to find that Ronny had arranged to have Mr Soensteby sign it for me. What an honour to have a book autographed by one of the real heroes of the WW-2 "secret war"
This book will be a treasured part of my collection.
I can't thank Ronny and Ola enough, two real friends.
Cheers,
Den
===========================

From RoZa
Dennis,

It is just a pleasure to us, to be able to give something back to you, for all the help and wisdom you have supported us with.

I have to correct something that I wrote earlier, which is not right:
<Sonsteby was born in the village Rjukan where the Norsk Hydro Raid took part. He took part of planning the mission, but did not take part of the raid because of his close relations, parents, and friends in Rjukan.>

Soensteby did not participate because he was too busy organising his intelligence-web in Oslo. He told it to me himself. There was, also two others from Operation Gunnerside who grew up in Rjukan, Claus Helberg and Knut Haugland. Both of them school friends of Soensteby.

When talking about Norwegian SOE war heroes. There are two other important classic books, worth reading:
"We die alone" about Jan Balsrud's heroic escape.
and
"Skis against the Atom" about Operation Gunnerside

Both of them can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/8AQGHQF6GNDH/103-8254097-6647030?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Ronny
=========================

From Phil Matthews
Really good info here Ronny - thanks for sharing!
"Two Eggs On My Plate" by Oluf Reed Olsen was another good book on the Norwegian SOE missions.
take care
phil
===============

From RoZa
Thanks Phil and Ron.

Oluf Reed Olson played a role as himself in the Norwegian Movie "Kontakt" from 1955.
The movie shows some real training clips at a SOE trainingcamp, including some CQB-training. One scene in the movie shows also sentry killing of a German soldier with a F&S knife by stabbing him in the kidneys, if I remember right. The DVD can be bought from here. English text.
http://www.nfi.no/filmbutikken/tittel.html?id=5535

It is also a movie based on "We die alone" from 1957. It called "Ni liv" (Nine lifes). The DVD can be found here. English text.
http://www.nfi.no/filmbutikken/tittel.html?id=6927

It is also an old movie about Operation Grouse and Gunnerside called "Kampen om tungtvannet" from 1948. Several of the men from the operation played them selves in the movie. The movie is also very authentic.
This is a much better movie than the Hollywood movie from 1965 "Heroes of Telemark" with Kirk Douglas, which is based on the same story.
The sad thing is that they haven't manage to make a DVD of the first one it yet. If they do, it might be found here. They have made VHS of it, but it is out of stock.
http://www.nfi.no/filmbutikken/tittel.html?id=6991

"The Heroes of Telemark" can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6304331053/103-8254097-6647030?v=glance&n=404272
Dennis,
I can try to make copies of the two DVD's
"Kontakt" and "Ni liv" (We die alone), and ship them to you, if you are interrested.
Now, I have to go and watch the football match between England and Sweden ;-)
Ronny
===================

From Den
Ronny
I'd love copies of those DVDs, they sound really interesting.
Have you seen the documentary series from the BBC that was shown a couple of years ago? "The Real Heroes of Telemark" took a couple of guys from the Norwegian Army, together with two lads from our Royal Marines, to retrace the survival ordeeal of the Grouse/Gunnerside operators.It was a terrific series, and the modern guys met up with the remaining SOE team for a meal and discussion.
Den
==================

From RoZa
Dennis
Yes, I saw that BBC documentary on Discovery Channel a couple of years ago. It was a good one.
Ronny
======================

From Phil M
Interesting read about Norwegian Special Operations in Sweden.

Info about the book and author here.http://www.sepals.info/index.php?name=About_me.html

Here's some of the info from Online Norwegian Newspaper
quote:

Now a book about the Norwegian intelligence sites on Swedish soil during WWII is being written. The sites were situated in the border areas without Swedish political approval.
Roger Albrigtsen is the man working on this project. His grandfather, Magne Lindgren from Skjomen, was one of the couriers that frequently crossed the border on his route to and from the “Anna” site at Unna Allakas. – An exiting project, I have been digging through the material, and I have been in connection with a number of people somehow connected to this risky operation, Roger Albrigtsen tells us.
He is 35 years old, originally from Bogen in Ofoten. Now he is residing in Lakselv, Finnmark. For almost three years he has been working on his book, and still he has some work left undone. Estimates on publishing will be in 2009, but already this fall it will be published a small pamphlet on Sepals. – The sites have been mentioned in books earlier, but I have had a wish to dig deeper, seek the individuals. I discover new information all the time even som many years after the end of WWII and even though many of the men involved have passed away, Albrigtsen tells us.
The man who had the idea to set up Norwegian intelligence sites on Swedish soil was Haakon Kyllingmark. The goal being to launch sabotage operations, spy and map/report German acticities in Norway. Also recruit norwegians to a secret army. The sites, named Sepals, were set up fall 1944 at Unna Allakas, Skjomen by Narvik, at Leinavann and the three borders stone (Treriksroysa) . The project was not approved by Swedish officials in 1944. Kyllingmark had the Swedish C-bureaus approval. The making of these sites were made possible by economic means from The OSS (today C.I.A.). – In my book on Sepals I will talk about the cooperation with the Swedish population in these areas and all the good help the Sepalmen got from them. Both Swedes and Norwegians took a rather great risk in the work for freedom in Norway. Magne Lindgren, who passed away in 1985, had been working as an agent and courier already from 1940. He managed to get a permission from the German Sicherheitspolizei (SIPO) to fish a hunt in the mountains and the border areas around Narvik. This permission opened the way for all his work at Sepals “Anna” at Unna Allakas.
- Many people took part in this dangerous work. In my book I like to shed a light on them, Albrigtsen states.
take care
phil

From RoZa
Thank you for the good news Phil.
I didn't know about this book before you told it. I haven't read much about Sepals, so I can't add anything to your information at the momemt. The sepals.info page tells that the intelligence sites were made by OSS-economic means. It may very well be like that, the Norwegians had some strong relations to OSS. I know there where to Norwegian Companies in OSS/Special Operations, and they where led by William Colby. Who became the first leader of the later CIA.
http://www.ossog.org/

A lot of the resistance in Norway was coordinated from Stockholm. Both by the local SOE-office and the Norwegian Legation in the Military Office in Stockholm were involved.

I am looking forward with excitement to the Sepals book beeing published.

Phil, can you email me your personal adress ? Then I will send you copies of the DVD's you asked about.
I have most recently heard rumours, which says that BBC are planning to make a TV documentary about Jan Baalsrud's great escape. I have also heard that it will be something like the documentary about the heavywater operation where they took a couple of guys from the Norwegian Army, together with two guys from the Royal Marines, to retrace the survival and the escape route.

Lets hope they are not going to amputate their own toes by their own help as well……
Ronny

From Roza

On Monday, Jono and I visited the Imperial War Museum in London, and it was very nice to see that they had set up a separate display case for Oluf Reed Olsen in the SOE part of the museum.

We became a bit dissapointed when we understood Fairbairn wasn't honoured with his own display case, but they have displayed a copy of "All-In Fighting" and some F/S-knifes and the Smatchet. In another part of the museum they had spelled his name Fairburn!

From Den

I owe myself another visit to the IWM. It was 1983 when I was last there.
If we ever do a seminar in London we'll arrange a group trip to the IWM.
Cheers,
Den

From Jimmyfatwing

They had Fairbairn's medal also when I was there last (this year). And a variety of trench knives etc to make the eyes water

Gunner Sonsteby WEF_Medal1
Gunner Sonsteby WEF_Medal2

From thebristolbloke

There's a little writeup about him from the OSS next to it. I wrote it all down and need to transcribe it at some point. It's right next to the display with the Aux Unit stuff.

phil

from Den

James
Great photo, thanks for posting. Again, I really must make a trip down there.

Phil
Quote:
I wrote it all down and need to transcribe it at some point

Looking forward to it
Den

From Den

A couple of follow up links:
This is a Norwegian site with loads of photos of SOE kit

Here is the link to the thread about our recent Combatives Seminar in Norway
Cheers,
Den

=====================================

From Roza

Sønsteby honored with statue in Oslo.

Gunner Sonsteby T_24statuem_a2d695c

==========================

From Den

That's great, well deserved.
Cheers,
Den

================================
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
Ronny
Instructor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2007-07-20

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Sonsteby celebrate his 90 years anniverisary today   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jan 2008, 16:49

Gunnar Sønsteby, born 11th January 1918, celebrate his 90th birthday today.
Back to top Go down
Ronny
Instructor

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gunner Sonsteby   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jan 2008, 17:23

Sønsteby was celebrated at Akershus Castle at the Akershus Fortress in Oslo by the norwegian King, the Crownprince, the Primeminister, the Minister of Defence, the government, and several other culture celebrities among the 160 guests.
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gunner Sonsteby   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jan 2008, 19:10

It's great to see a true national hero still going strong at that age.
Many happy returns.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Ronny
Instructor

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gunner Sonsteby   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitimeSat 20 Dec 2008, 14:56

Gunnar Sonsteby (90) will be answering questions online in a Norwegian newspage (http://www.vg.no) on Monday 22.December at 12.00.
You can start sending your questions right now. Sonsteby speaks English very well.

Click into:
http://tpn.vg.no/intervju/index.php?Inr=1773

Regards
Ronny
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gunner Sonsteby   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitimeSat 20 Dec 2008, 19:03

A great chance to communicate with a legendary hero. Thanks Ronny.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gunner Sonsteby   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2009, 10:43

It was great to see Gunnar Sonsteby talking about the resistance activities, on the documentary which is an extra on the Max Manus DVD.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Ronny
Instructor

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Gunnar Sønsteby No 24 (January 11 1918 - May 10 2012) RIP   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitimeFri 11 May 2012, 23:17

Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gunner Sonsteby   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitimeSat 12 May 2012, 10:12

That's sad, thanks for letting us know Ronny.
He certainly lived a very full life.
I treasure the autographed book, and regret not being able to have met him.
May he rest in peace in Valhalla

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
sgtpepper

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gunner Sonsteby   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitimeSat 12 May 2012, 15:02

I love reading about the Norwegian contribution in WWII. They showed great bravery. I feel proud that they received some of their training in Scotland. I believe that a few of the Telemark crew had fond memories of being here, as well as doing some salmon fishing with grenades. And, I seem to remember reading a book that mentioned them going into a shop in Dumfries to buy their skis. Sad that he has passed away but 94 is a very generous age especially the danger he must have faced in those five lost years. Bet he never thought he'd get to that age.
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gunner Sonsteby   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitimeFri 16 Nov 2012, 12:51

Another great Norwegian hero has passed away....
Birger Stromsheim

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gunner Sonsteby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gunner Sonsteby   Gunner Sonsteby Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gunner Sonsteby
Page 1 of 1