Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rorke's Drift...

Go down 
+3
Sijkd1
Dennis
kilogulf59
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Number of posts : 1447
Registration date : 2008-02-20

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeThu 25 Jul 2013, 22:33

I believe this falls under the heading of "Lest We Forget"...

When I was a kid there was nothing on but this lame movie called "Zulu"...so I grudgingly watched it and have seen it many times since. At school that Monday I look it up and choked at what I read...

Just over 150 British and colonial troops successfully defended the garrison against an intense assault by 3,000 to 4,000 Zulu warriors.

The Zulu warrior was considered the best light infantry in the world!

Eleven Victoria Crosses were awarded to the defenders, along with a number of other decorations and honours.

I, as a grown man, still tear when I think of these Men...we, today, walk in the shadow of giants...who among them was not a Man? Who among us can compare?

The Battle of Rorke's Drift...incidently, I've ordered a copy of The Defence of Rorke's Drift, by Alphonse de Neuville (1882) for our living room...
Back to top Go down
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/iccf/
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeFri 26 Jul 2013, 10:53

Epic battle, and great movie.

Rorke's Drift... Valley_zps737c4302

We visited the Valley of a Thousand Hills in Zwa-Zulu Natal, and stood on a peak, sipping a cool drink in the fearsome heat and humidity. I marvelled that British soldiers had manhandled artilliary cannon from the coast into the heart of Zulu-land, while wearing heavy serge uniforms. What a breed of fighting men we had under the "Widow of Windsor"

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
Sijkd1
Instructor
Sijkd1

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeFri 26 Jul 2013, 12:10

I have to watch this film, every time it's on. The film obviously conveying a small percentage of the intensity and bravery involved in the actual incident.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeFri 26 Jul 2013, 19:06

There's parts of the states that look like that Den...did you get the creeps thinking about the ghosts of battle that were there?

I cannot imagine doing anything "while wearing heavy serge uniforms"...I was never a hot weather person and now, due to health, I couldn't take it. Hell from spring to fall up here and all I wear is cotton tee-shirts, cotton shorts, and flip-flops...

Some things I came across...

The mounted police of Natal (1913)

Martinis and the Zulu-War

Mark I and II Infantry Rifles, and Cavalry Carbine MkI's would have been the most prolific weapons on the British side during the 1879 Anglo Zulu War. The large, heavy .45 caliber bullets of the Martini-Henry inflicted horrific wounds on the attacking Zulus, and many who limped off the battlefield with bullet wounds died an agonizing, painful, slow death. At Isandlhwana and Rorke's Drift, it is presumed that volley firing commenced at a range of about 400 yards. At this range, the volley firing cut large swaths into the advancing line of Zulu warriors. Considering bullet weight and velocity, it is probable that many rounds fired from 200 yards or less went through one Zulu Warrior, and possibly onto a next, severely wounding or killing him as well. It is estimated that between 20,000 and 25,000 rounds were fired during the defense of Rorke's Drift, the vast majority of the shots having missed their targets altogether. Per Lt. Chard's report, the number of Zulu dead buried by the British was 351. It is estimated that another 300 Zulus died later as a result of wounds sustained during the battle. So, conservatively speaking, every 25th shot fired by the defenders of Rorke's Drift resulted in an eventual Zulu death, and every 50th shot was an outright kill.

In general, the Martini-Henry performed well during the Zulu War. It is the contention of some that chronic jams and cartridge feeding problems with the M-H were a contributing factor to the defeat of the men at Isandlhwana. I personally feel this theory to be lacking in factual evidence. While the occasional jam was a fact of life with black powder cartridge arms (moreso if the weapon is being rapidly fired, such as at Rorke's Drift), the M-H performed extremely well if properly cared for. The men who designed the M-H were not idiots, and would not have let a design flaw such as chronic jamming go unnoticed. It was during the Boer War that it became obvious that the large caliber, black powder Martini-Henry was obsolete. Facing small caliber magazine loading weapons, the Martini was clearly outclassed.
Back to top Go down
Shackleton
Instructor
Shackleton

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2007-07-20

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeFri 26 Jul 2013, 19:24

Tis number one in my list of top ten of all time!

The rendition of 'Men Of Harlech' while they receive the Zulu morning attack brings a tear to my eye every time.

Can you believe there are still Martini Henry's knocking about in Helmand Province today ? Some have even been found being used as fence posts!! A friend of mine brought one back inside one of the units weapon bundles. Was incredible to get your hands on such a piece of history.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeFri 26 Jul 2013, 19:33

here ya go buddy...
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeFri 26 Jul 2013, 19:57

Men of Harlech

Did the men at Rorke's Drift break into a stirring rendition of 'Men of Harlech' to counter the Zulu chants? Well, not quite. Ian Knight, renowned historian of the period has this to say:

"We've all seen the marvellous movie, where the heroic Welsh garrison at Rorke's Drift match the awesome Zulu war-chants with a stirring rendition of Men of Harlech. Come on Ivor, sing something they know …

Well, it wasn't quite like that. In fact, the county designation of the 24th Regiment in 1879 was the 2nd Warwickshires; they didn't change their title to the South Wales Borderers until 1st July 1881 - almost exactly two years after the war had ended. True, the Regimental Depot had been established at Brecon, in South Wales, in 1873, and from that point there was a small but significant increase in Welsh recruits in the ranks. In fact, however, recruits for the regiment - like every other battalion in the British army - were signed on at recruiting depots across the country, and the 24th consisted of men from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. The most that can be said is that the Welsh connection had, by 1879, led to a rather higher proportion of Welshman in the ranks than was common elsewhere. Nevertheless, even the most optimistic search of the regimental roll can find only 19 men of B Company, 2/24th, with any sort of Welsh connection - out of a total strength of more than 80. Of course, there were detachments of numerous other units - including Colonial Volunteers - present at the battle, making a total garrison of about 145. So the Welsh contingent comprised no more than 15% of the total.

And no-one, I'm sorry to say, sang Men of Harlech; the regimental march in 1879 was The Warwickshire Lads."

There have been some accounts (primarily David Charles of Fugitive's Drift) where it was said that 'Men of Harlech' was sung as the men of the 3rd column crossed the river at Rorke's Drift on the their way into Zululand, however this has not been verified, and as Ian quite rightly points out, as far as history is concerned, the artistic license used in the film Zulu is purely speculation.

Listen to the Royal Regiment of Wales' Band singing "Men of Harlech" on the 120th anniversary of the battle of Rorke's Drift. This was recorded in the church at Rorke's Drift and if you listen carefully, you can hear the emotion that this rendition evoked.

Welshmen at Rorke's Drift

Once again, the film 'Zulu' makes a point of suggesting that the 24th Regiment, and in particular 'B' Company, was mainly Welsh. In fact, the Welsh constituted only 11% of the 24th. Regt. at Rorke's Drift. Although the regiment was then based in Brecon in South Wales and called the 24th. Regiment of Foot (later to be the South Wales Borderers), it was formerly the Warwickshire Regiment. Many of the defenders had never been to Brecon.

Of the 24th Regt. at the defence, the numbers (Source: 'The Noble 24th. by Norman Holme), 49 were English, 18 Monmouthshire,16 Irish, 1 Scottish, 14 Welsh and 21 of unknown nationality. 'This is a Welsh regiment, although there are some foreigners in it mind'.
Back to top Go down
Shackleton
Instructor
Shackleton

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeSat 27 Jul 2013, 11:30

My favourite scene in all cinema that one. Thanks for that.

Although admittedly, not one of the most historically accurate moments of the film (of which there are many (accurate that is!)). Although along with a number of other seemingly ham moments, they are often a twist on a related event. I always thought this scene was a tip of the hat to the final throes of Isandlwana where, much like the 44th at Gandamak, they died fighting to the end singing God Save The Queen (where do they find these blokes?).

That's what the history books say anyway. I always have a suspicion its a bit of a spin to help digest what are often awful and disastrous events.

Even more ham was the version of Men Of Harlech sang was actually written especially for the film. As a footnote the bloke who leads the singing isn't an actor, he's an opera singer mate of Stanley Baxter (actor/director who played Lt Chard).

A final movie spin was that they visited the actual site of the battle with a view to filming there, but the landscape was fairly mundane and not dramatic enough.

All that said, watching the above again still brought a tear to the eye.

The most stirring rendition I heard was in a base in Afghanistan on the 22/23rd January 08 (anniversary of the battle). In the same location where the Corps Of Royal Engineers, one of the Regiments who were at Rorkes Drift.

In the tent next to mine where I was cleaning weapons, they had knocked up a makeshift cinema (A4 paper as a screen, and, liberated from the ops room, a laptop and projector that was usually used for giving orders!). I'd have liked to go along but any spare time for me at that time was spent sleeping! So I had to content with listening next door whilst doing my admin. Come the above scene, the surroundings and occasion lent a little more umpfth to what is, for me, already incredibly stirring cinema.

Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeSat 27 Jul 2013, 11:46

Although admittedly, not one of the most historically accurate moments of the film (of which there are many (accurate that is!)). wrote:

As Churchill said of the Atrhurian legends "It's all true, or it should be; and more and better besides"

As many here will know, King Cetshwayo was played by Chief Buthelezi [current chief of the Zulu Nation].

Apart from Stanley Baker and Michael Caine the film also starred one of my favourite character actors, Nigel Greene

Rorke's Drift... 6956-21900_zps0ef34775

Early film roles include Reach for the Sky (1956), The Criminal (1960), The League of Gentlemen (1960), and Beat Girl (1960). His large physique led to his being cast as Little John in the 1960 film Sword of Sherwood Forest.
In 1963 he had one of his most memorable roles as Hercules in Jason and the Argonauts. The following year his profile was raised dramatically following his co-starring role as Colour Sergeant Frank Bourne in Zulu. In 1965 he took a turn as leading man, playing Nayland Smith in The Face of Fu Manchu. The same year also saw another of his most memorable roles as Major Dalby in The Ipcress File where he played the superior and nemesis of Michael Caine's secret agent Harry Palmer.
Other roles include Carl Petersen in Bulldog Drummond movie Deadlier Than the Male (1967), Count Contini in the Matt Helm film The Wrecking Crew (1969) and "Lord Ashley's Whore" in John Huston's The Kremlin Letter (1969).
His strong persona allowed him to play many military roles such as in Khartoum (1966), Tobruk (1967), Fräulein Doktor and Play Dirty (both 1969).

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
Shackleton
Instructor
Shackleton

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeSat 27 Jul 2013, 16:09

Dennis wrote:

Apart from Stanley Baker and Michael Caine the film also starred one of my favourite character actors, Nigel Greene

He also brilliantly delivered one of the best lines in Zulu.

Anyone care to venture (to be fair he had a few others besides!) ?
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeSat 27 Jul 2013, 21:15

Glad you enjoyed it Shackleton...

I think Greene is a great actor...and, to me, he WAS the epitome of a Color Sergeant...I've seen many of his pictures.

OK, it has to be this quote because when I first saw this picture I thought "Holy Cow, they are all going to die" and then the kid started to panic and I thought "are they going to break and run?" But old Color Sergeant Bourne calmly says the following...damn near took my oung breath away...

Back to top Go down
J.C

Number of posts : 58

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeSat 27 Jul 2013, 23:02

Zulus to the south west....thousands of 'em....
Back to top Go down
Shackleton
Instructor
Shackleton

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeSat 27 Jul 2013, 23:59

Thought you had it there Ken, but its not the one I had in mind, although to be fair Greene has so many classic lines (or is it he makes so many of them classic?).

Any more for any more ?
Back to top Go down
ANZAC

ANZAC

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeSun 28 Jul 2013, 04:11

I'll nominate two:
The first was when he's calling the roll and a soldier fails to respond when his name is called and Bourne says, "You're alive. I can see you." Absolutely bloody classic!

The second and less likely was when a squaddie doesn't come to attention when he answers and Bourne simply with no emotion reminds him/them, "Officer on Parade".
Back to top Go down
Shackleton
Instructor
Shackleton

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeSun 28 Jul 2013, 15:53

Hiya Anzac,

Had forgotten them, yet more classic Greene. I had a quick look at the 'Zulu' quotes on IMDB to see if the one I had in mind is of equal prominence elsewhere, which it isn't !! (although every second quote seemed to be Colour Sergeant Bourne). However this gem was, which, if I remember correctly, in between the quotes of Anzac's (and probably doesn't read or look at all like a classic unless you've seen the film);

Color Sgt. Bourne: [doing roll call] Hughes!
Hughes: Excused duty!
[the soldiers begin to laugh]
Color Sgt. Bourne: No comedians, please. Hughes.
Hughes: Yes, Colour Sergeant.

Followed by "Answer Sir, officer on Parade"

Anymore ? Come'on Si you're disappointing me here!
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeSun 28 Jul 2013, 16:50

I GOT IT!

"A prayer's as good as a bayonet on a day like this." <= My money's here

or

"Mr. Witt, sir, be quiet now will you; there's a good gentleman. You'll upset the lads." <= But this was soooo well done in the movie...
Back to top Go down
ANZAC

ANZAC

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeSun 28 Jul 2013, 18:31

Shackleton wrote:

Color Sgt. Bourne: [doing roll call] Hughes!
Hughes: Excused duty!
[the soldiers begin to laugh]
Color Sgt. Bourne: No comedians, please. Hughes.
Hughes: Yes, Colour Sergeant.

Followed by "Answer Sir, officer on Parade"

That's the one I meant and remembered incorrectly.

Back to top Go down
Shackleton
Instructor
Shackleton

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jul 2013, 09:50

"Mr. Witt, sir, be quiet now will you; there's a good gentleman. You'll upset the lads." <= But this was soooo well done in the movie... wrote:

You got it indeed.

Love that quote.

There's so many lines from the movie that have acquired cult status in various army units and become common parlance. I also remember quite a few facets of the movie Dog Soldiers (which I thought was quite enjoyable) that paid homage to Zulu with various tit bits, including the line above.

Colour Sergeant Bourne, what a legend.

Did you know that despite the brilliant character portrayal by Greene the real Colour Sergeant Bourne was only in his early twenties at the time of the battle (he was the youngest man of that rank in the British Army) ? Incredible to think really, both such an outrageously early rise to such a rank and also to display the strength of nerve and character in such circumstances (to the extent he was awarded the DCM).
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jul 2013, 13:21

From what I've read the real Colour Sergeant Bourne aka "The Kid", was nothing like Nigel Green. Also, "Green was considerably older (about 40 years old) and taller than Bourne, who was 24 and 5' 6" (1.68 m) at the time of the battle."...Also "He was the last surviving defender from Rorke's Drift, dying on VE Day (8 May 1945), at the age of 91" I hope he knew we won...

I think Baker had Colour Sergeant Bourne portrayed not as he was historically but as he, the Brits, and the world though a Victorian Era Color Sergeant in Her Majesty's service should be...

You really have to see the scene to appreciate the quote...Start at 1:00:55

I read this and don't understand?

He was offered a commission, but "being an eighth son, and the family exchequer ... empty", he declined it.
Back to top Go down
Shackleton
Instructor
Shackleton

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jul 2013, 14:32

My inclination would be to do with the fact that commissions back in the day would be purchased within Cavalry and Infantry regiments (commoners such as the engineers and artillery would have to earn their crowns and were therefore looked down on by their betters!). Additionally there were also all sorts of mess bills that were due (and in some regiments still are!!) which was a handy way of keeping the riff raff away from commend positions.

As it happens I thought the practice had ceased by that stage (I think a good few kick in bollox in some colonial skirmishes up to and around that point, had pressed the awareness of a need for a more professional set up).

The above does give the potential (if the practice was still in place), given their parent regiments, that Chard could've earned his position whilst Bromhead had purchased, this would certainly fit with the characters depicted in the film.

Only a wiki away I suppose..............
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jul 2013, 16:17

Thanks, that clears it up...I looked into it a bit but it got more confusing...for some reason I have a hard time understanding things non-standard. Then toss in the different social/political system of Great Britain and this Yank is yanked...
Back to top Go down
Sijkd1
Instructor
Sijkd1

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jul 2013, 16:51

My personal favourite and understated line was this:

"Mr. Witt, sir, be quiet now will you; there's a good gentleman. You'll upset the lads."

Awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sijkd1
Instructor
Sijkd1

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jul 2013, 16:52

Ah, I see its already been "got". Glad to see we're on the same page, though.

Great, great, quote.
Back to top Go down
ANZAC

ANZAC

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeTue 30 Jul 2013, 07:09

KG, officers had to provide their own uniforms and equipment out of their pocket until sometime during the interwar period (1920s & 30s - can't remember when). The expense was not small particularly in Victorian times. Even in my grand-dad's day serving in a Highlander regiment before and during WWI, officers kit alone could cost far more than a subaltern would be payed in a year. Even as late as the 1960s and beyond it was not uncommon for British Army officers to need a personal source of income beyond their army pay to meet their outlay for mess fees, etc.
Back to top Go down
Shackleton
Instructor
Shackleton

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitimeTue 30 Jul 2013, 13:05

A quick wiki showed that Bromhead did indeed purchase his commission and Chard entered via military college and academy.

Interesting slant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rorke's Drift... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rorke's Drift...   Rorke's Drift... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rorke's Drift...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dennis Martin's Combatives Community :: General forums :: Lest we forget-
Jump to: