Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Training courses in Americus, 2017

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9904
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Training courses in Americus, 2017   Training courses in Americus, 2017 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Nov 2017, 13:00

TRAINING COURSES, AMERICUS, NOVEMBER 2017

Slacky and I linked up at Amsterdam, to fly KLM to Atlanta. We hadn't seen each other for a while, so the flight passed quickly as we caught up on news.
Shane picked us up at the airport, and we set off for the three hour drive to Americus. In the car Shane showed us a new knife from CRKT that was very nice. Slacky carried it for the rest of the trip.
We spent the following day with Shane as he visited police departments, in his work supplying them with weapons and ancillary equipment. In the roll call room of one PD there was a large poster proclaiming "Gun control means shooting with two hands" I love the South!

LOW LIGHT SHOOTING PROGRAM
On the Friday we were taken to brunch by Rod, at the Roman Oven for some great Italian food, while Shane prepped the range. Then we all met for the Low-light training Program. Wisely, we started in the daylight, so as to go through the various techniques in relaxed conditions, while Shane kept an eye on any weapon handling issues. I have seen experienced officers fumble during low-light training, so this familiarization phase is essential.
The program was based on the use of a suitable flashlight to co-ordinate with the pistol. We did not do any dim light/unaided shooting. Dim light engagement is a very problematic area, and the legalities are daunting. Since we all routinely carry a flashlight, the goal of the training was to integrate this into your shooting skills.
Shane discussed the various types and models of lights, and what to look for when selecting a "shooting light" Several of the participants were very knowledgeable on the topic, and had brought a variety of torches to demonstrate. An important point was to avoid designs with a "reverse-clicky" switch which I subsequently found to be be very valid.
Shane presented four main techniques for utilising the flashlight with the pistol. Two were unsupported [hands apart] mainly used when transitioning from a search to a shoot. The other two were supported [hands linked] used to provide stability and co-axial target marking.
The unsupported positions were the Neck Index and the FBI positions, while the supported were the Harries and the Rogers positions.

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Shane_10
[Shane demonstrating the Neck Index]
We did several dry drills utilising each position, before going live. This was still done in daylight, and progress was quick.
After darkness fell, we repeated the drills, and added some others, such as a two-man exercise, with the partner making the target indication with his flashlight, while you shot.
During this phase, those using Weapon Mounted Lights [WML] were given some specific drills.
Shane ensured that tactics were an integral part of the training, with scanning and movement included in the drills.

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Shane_11
[Harries position demonstrated by Shane]

EQUIPMENT
In the past I owned two good Surefire "shooting lights" Unfortunately I had swapped my 6Z for an Inova and my 9P had stopped working. So, for this course I bought a cheap Chinese copy, with my compact Surefire E2e in reserve. For illumination the light was OK, but it was equipped with the dreaded "reverse-clicky" switch, which confusingly, illuminates when you release the pressure. In the drills this was less than ideal, and I will be buying a more suitable light in the near future. The reason I wanted to use a full size light, rather than my E2e, was to work with the Graham Combat ring, which I have found in the past to be very practical.

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Graham10

Accessing the flashlight from the pouch, and doing weapon manipulation [such as mag changes] is easy with the ring.
I was also using a new Kydex clip-on mag pouch, instead of my old proven PWL pouch shown above. Again, the new item was not a bad design, but the tension screws had worked loose and my extended [20 round] Glock mag fell out during movement. Back at the apartment Shane fixed the screws with Loc-tite. It is the sign of a well put together course that any equipment problems are identified, and lessons learned.

Training courses in Americus, 2017 G-code10

The program climaxed with a Stress Shoot. We were all held in a staging area, and then individually guided through a gauntlet of threat problems, which included both hostile and innocuous targets, which required the use of the various techniques taught. While waiting in the holding area, Randy led a q&a discussion about flashlight kit, which provided much food for thought. For example I was surprised to learn that cheap Chinese C123 batteries have been known to burst into flame! This Stress Shoot was a terrific experience, and really put the cherry on top of a great training program.
We then met up at the Waffle House for a late supper, and to continue the discussion.
++++
To be continued.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk

Last edited by Dennis on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 11:51; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: RANGE TRAINING DAY   Training courses in Americus, 2017 Icon_minitimeFri 08 Dec 2017, 11:17

Following the evening night shoot conducted by Shane, the following day I conducted a range training session.We started with an individual "cold" Spontaneous Response Drill [SRD]. The Delta Force has a training concept, where each Range Training session starts with some form of spontaneous/surprise drill.
The DS can set it up, another team, or, element can set it up, you can set it up for your partner. It can be anything, simple or complicated...as long as is a surprise.
What you can do "cold" without warm-up shooting, is the only real test of reactive shooting skill.
Possible problems include, unknown number of targets, unknown type of targets, shoot/no-shoot situations, low-light, exertion, limited briefing, incorrect briefing, forced malfunctions etc.
Back in the day, we did SRDs every personal Range Training session.
The class was taken to a holding area and briefed. Targets have weapon/innocuous identifiers. All targets have balloons. When you turn you are in a close-range problem. They were led individually to the firing point, with eyes closed. The DS loaded their pistols to produce a surprise magazine change. We used an electronic timer as go signal, and to analyze timings.

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Imag1013

We did not try to catch the guys out. As you can see, the target problem was quite simple. However, under the pressure of the unknown, the threat analysis problem becomes evident. Visual processing is a skill, and isn't tested enough in regular range training.
For example, almost every member shot the police officer target.... even the cops in the class!

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Imag1012

As you can see, the police badge was large, and right next to the baloon. Slacky is looking happy because he was one of the few not to kill the cop.
We conducted a group debrief, with the view to underlining the importance of this type of training. We discussed broad findings, firstly speed of first hit, which is likely to be slower than your normal range work. Reason, you need to process situational information [OODA] rather than just a reactive shot. Implications for training, should you continue to work on your simple draw speed, or, perhaps work on a variety of situational problems?

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Srd_in10

Similarly with the malfuntion. This is a spontaneous problem which has to be solved, and it is better to construct drills presenting varied circumstances in which a stoppage occurs, rather than work on "speed loads"
We mentioned the vital work done by Marcus on simultaneous/parallel processing, rather than sequential processing.
We went on to other training concepts, skills and drills. We spent quite a bit of time on the idea of working with a partner. Obviously, police officers train for mutual tactics, but civilians are often out in public with an armed associate. Having some simple, agreed and trained tactics can be essential.

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Partne10

We also did some work on reacting from positions of disadvantage....

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Imag1110

After the class most stayed behind to try out some different weapons

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Imag1111

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Slacky10

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: COMBATIVES PROGRAM   Training courses in Americus, 2017 Icon_minitimeSat 09 Dec 2017, 12:19

Shane arranged for us to use the courtroom in Montezuma. A very prestigious venue for sweaty training! The program was an overview of Combatives Hard Skills for those who hadn't trained with us before.

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Den_an10

The group, which included police officers, were entusiastic, and a lot of material was covered.

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Shane_12

For luch we had the choice of the local Subway, or, recommended by the police, the canteen of the hospital. We headed there, to find a long queue. Also, it was a mental hospital and I wasn't sure they would let me out again, so we diverted to the Subway. I ordered possibly the most famous American sandwich, a BLT, and the server asked his colleague "what are the ingredients?" After assembling the requisite bacon, lettuce and tomato, he asked me what kind of cheese I wanted!
Back in court, we then covered edged weapon selection, with an array of really state of the art carry options on display, courtesy of Shane, Dick and class members. We then went into knife technique, emphasising access drills, before covering the knife as a weapon-retention option.

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Knives10
[Some of the knives displayed]

Training courses in Americus, 2017 Civili10
[Spyderco Civilan/Matriarchs]

Following this we adjourned court and moved to an outdoor location, where Shane had arranged for highly realistic testing of the various knives. This will be covered in a forthcoming thread.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk

Last edited by Dennis on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 17:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cruel Hand Luke

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Training courses in Americus, 2017   Training courses in Americus, 2017 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Dec 2017, 17:24

Just wanted to say I was glad to finally get to do some combatives work with Den (and Slacky). I have been trying to hit one of these classes for a while but so far it had turned out every time he was over here I was either teaching or working. I got lucky this time with the scheduling and this class was a birthday present to myself. I was only there for Sunday but I had a grand time and look forward to the next time . I got my well worn copy of Working With Warriors signed and a huge thanks to Den for sending me some videos. Hope to catch you guys next time!
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Training courses in Americus, 2017   Training courses in Americus, 2017 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Dec 2017, 17:51

It is always good to meet the forum members, and a particular pleasure to meet a fellow Combatives instructor. Many thanks for bringing so many interesting knives to the class.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
cmcampbell

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Training courses in Americus, 2017   Training courses in Americus, 2017 Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jan 2018, 05:13

I was sorry to miss you guys in 2017. I was a busy month for me. I hope to do it next time !
Stay well,
Court
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Training courses in Americus, 2017   Training courses in Americus, 2017 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jan 2018, 10:04

We missed you, Court. See you next time
Den

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training courses in Americus, 2017   Training courses in Americus, 2017 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Training courses in Americus, 2017
Page 1 of 1