Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mika Soderman

Go down 
+15
philw
Micha
High cross
Nick Engelen
DenisMc
rasmussweden
Alan Beckett
Sijkd1
UnderdogNYHC
Giles
larry
v42
Old Wanker 2
Simonds
Slackbladder
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
High cross

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2010-06-30

Mika Soderman - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Dec 2018, 23:56

I met Mika at Carl Cestaris seminars in 2002 and 2003. Thr story that V42 relayed about the woman trying to put him in the Silat neck crank, I was the one who said "she tried on Mika" that carl picked up on and repeated. Mika did a lot of mentoring to me when I was 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23 years old. I remember sitting in my dorm room in New York City while he talked me through making marinara sauce over the phone. I wanted to try his recipe. He helped talked me into pursuing a career in politics which i did for a time as well. Mika taught me many things remotely and I thank God for his friendship and the lessons he taught me. My life is better for having Mika Sodermann in it. I wish he was still here and I regret never taking him up on his offer to visit Sweden. I was alway jealous of Bristol Phil getting to. I hope he is getting his peace and I hope I am able to see him again.
Back to top Go down
Micha

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2018, 23:05

Hi! My name is Micha and I am a very close friend to Mika and his family, Mikas funeral will be tomorrow (Friday 21/12 2018) at 14:00, I know that he had a lot of friend’s in her so I thought I should share his memorial page

https://minnessidor.fonus.se/memorial_page/memorial_page_personal_info.php?order_id=3594907&greeting_id=&final_screen=light_candle&sign=8ef7178a17c185041fa154416e86be99

The funeral is taking place for the closest family

A open memorial will be held for Mika in the first few weeks of February You were all important for Mika and that’s why we want to invite you all to say farewell to him and share our memories and honor the man that’s no longer amongst us but will never be forgotten.
More information about time and place will come shortly, let us remember Mika with joy and warmth.

//Micha
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Dec 2018, 09:29

Farewell Mika

Mika Soderman - Page 2 Viking10

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 22 Dec 2018, 09:29

Photo from the funeral, from Micha, and used with permission of the family...

Mika Soderman - Page 2 Mika_f10

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
philw
Instructor

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Dec 2018, 11:56

A sad loss.  I remember posting a recommendation for a strength training programme and making the mistake of actually listing my numbers for the major lifts.  'I was lifting more than that in school!' came Mika's reply. 😂

I'm guilty more than most of thinking I'll get round to contacting distant friends 'tomorrow' or 'next week' or 'when I'm less busy'.  This should serve as a reminder that we can't take our friends' presence for granted.

RIP Big Man
Back to top Go down
Serge

Serge

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2007-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2019, 23:07

Very sad news, indeed.
All my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Mika.

We knew each other through forums exchanges and mutual friends. No more, no less.

I was once tracking a Kasper/Polkowski knife on eBay, very well hidden under some strange label. Another guy on the planet was on it too and was actively participating to rise the biddings when I suddenly realized that it was Mika. Right away, I emailed him to make him know that it was now a free run for him to get the knife with the special harness. One or two days later, being the only bidder, he took the item at a smashing low price. Then, he wrote to me, with his very special nordic sense of humour : " Serge, you were so wrong to do that. ". Knowing perfectly that I'd understand his underground way to give me the thumb up.

I think about these lyrics, while Mika has reached out the other side :

En vainqueurs nous défilerons,
Nous n'avons pas seulement des armes,
Mais le diable marche avec nous.

He probably would liked these.
Back to top Go down
JimC

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2019, 00:35

I feel so sad and ashamed that only now have I read about Mika's passing!

He was a real warrior who anyone would be honoured to call a friend and fear as an enemy!

The only time I was able to spend with Mika in person was at the Minds Eye shooting course in Sweden that Den has already mentioned,
I fondly remember that evening at the restaurant, I don't know how we ate we laughed so much.  After that Mika kindly invited us to his flat where we spent the evening talking about....everything, and admiring Mika's knife collection!

Farewell, there is sure to be a high seat at the table for you!

‘Tis with joy I cease. The goddesses of destiny are come to fetch me. Odin hath sent them from the habitation of the gods. I will be joyfully received into the highest seat; I will quaff full goblets among the gods. The hours of my life are past away. I die laughing.
from the Dying Ode of Ragnar Lodbrog

Mika Soderman - Page 2 100_1410
Mika Soderman - Page 2 100_1510
Mika Soderman - Page 2 100_1511
Back to top Go down
Rorschach

Rorschach

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 May 2019, 11:16

Sad to hear that he passed away. I met him at the International Seminars back in the days...
He was a nice and kind guy.

Stephan
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Dec 2019, 09:23

Today marks the first anniversary of the tragic death of Mika. Let's all take a moment to remember our friend.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Feb 2020, 17:30

Just come across this photo from Camp Get Tough...

Mika Soderman - Page 2 Marcus25

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Simonds
Instructor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Feb 2020, 17:50

Very sad RIP
Back to top Go down
Alan Beckett
Admin
Alan Beckett

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Feb 2020, 20:29

That was an awesome week, it's hard to believe so much time has passed. Mika's presence was so strong that you can still feel it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dunbarselfdefence.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mika Soderman   Mika Soderman - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mika Soderman
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dennis Martin's Combatives Community :: General forums :: Lest we forget-
Jump to: