Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Berlin Airlift

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

The Berlin Airlift Empty
PostSubject: The Berlin Airlift   The Berlin Airlift Icon_minitimeTue 14 May 2019, 09:40

This week marks the end of the Berlin Airlift. Allied air forces flew supplies into the starving people as the Soviets enforced a land blockade.Pilots came from the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and South Africa.A total of 101 fatalities were recorded as a result of the operation, including 40 Britons and 31 Americans

I did quite of bit of training with US military in the Frankfurt area, and was always interested when we passed the Airlift memorial at the airport....

The Berlin Airlift Luftbr10

... with memorial aircraft, and the arch representing the start of the "Luftbrucke" [air bridge]

On a trip to Berlin I deliberately booked to fly into Tempelhof, the old wartime airport, and the main destination during the airlift. I took this photo of the other end of the Luftbrucke memorial....

The Berlin Airlift Luftbr11

Tempelhof is no longer a working airport.
For anyone interested in WW-2/Cold War history I would recommend a visit to Berlin

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

The Berlin Airlift Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Berlin Airlift   The Berlin Airlift Icon_minitimeWed 15 May 2019, 09:30

This is the Soviet War Memorial in Treptower Park....

The Berlin Airlift Trepto12

... popularly known as "The Tomb of the Unknown Rapist"

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

The Berlin Airlift Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Berlin Airlift   The Berlin Airlift Icon_minitimeSat 09 Nov 2019, 16:46

Today marks thirty years since the fall of the Berlin Wall. That was the start of the liberation of millions of people who had been under the Soviet yoke since WW-2, when the horrors of the Nazis was replaced by the equally muderous Soviet ideology.

The Berlin Airlift Checkp11

I have visited Berlin several times, and love the history of what Adam Hall termed a "sometime Hell on Earth" Hopefully the horrors of the past will never be repeated.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Berlin Airlift Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Berlin Airlift   The Berlin Airlift Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Berlin Airlift
Page 1 of 1