Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bob Poynton 8th Dan Karate

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Bob Poynton 8th Dan Karate Empty
PostSubject: Bob Poynton 8th Dan Karate   Bob Poynton 8th Dan Karate Icon_minitimeWed 11 Mar 2020, 09:48

Just heard the tragic news that Bob Poynton has passed away.
I was fortunate to have had a long chat with Bob recently, while filming some interviews for a documentary. Bob came to the Red Triangle a short while after I started, and we hit it off. We were both super keen, and although White Belts, Master Enoeda told us to train in the colour-belts class too, so we were training six days per week, two back-to-back sessions per day.

Bob Poynton 8th Dan Karate Red_tr10
[Den and Bob at back, during a Karate demonstration, with Master Enoeda at right]

In 1966 Bob, his brother Jimmy, Steve Cattle and my girlfriend and I all travelled together in Bob's car to the All Britain Karate Championships. That first event was the start of an illustrious competitive career for Bob, which took him top top International level.
He reached the rank of 8th Dan in a system which does not hand out grades easily.
Bob and Terry were famous for their chair defence demonstration, which they made very real!

Bob Poynton 8th Dan Karate D466aa10

At our last meeting he told me he was very much a traditionalist, and many of the benefits of Karate came from the strict discipline.

Bob Poynton 8th Dan Karate Bob_po10

Bob was a great instructor, a top fighter and a very nice chap. His place in Valhalla is assured.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com

Bob Poynton 8th Dan Karate
Page 1 of 1