Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ian Smith

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9911
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Ian Smith Empty
PostSubject: Ian Smith   Ian Smith Icon_minitimeWed 21 Nov 2007, 10:46

Ian Smith, Prime Minister of Rhodesia died yesterday. I visited Rhodesia several times, still have Rhodie friends, and met Mr Smith in 1977 [I have a couple of photos somewhere]
This is his obituary from The Telegraph
Den
------------------------
Ian Smith
Last Updated: 7:37am GMT 21/11/2007Page 1 of 3

Ian Smith Db2101

Ian Smith, who died yesterday aged 88, was the Prime Minister of Rhodesia and an ardent advocate of white rule; in 1965 he unilaterally declared independence from Britain, and over the next 15 turbulent years fought an increasingly bitter war against African nationalist guerrillas, a war that cost between 30,000 and 40,000, mainly black, lives - but it was a struggle he eventually lost, paving the way for the country's independence as Zimbabwe.

To his supporters - white Rhodesians and many in Britain - he was a political visionary, the simple farmer who had stepped forward reluctantly to defend his country against Communism. To the Left he was as abhorrent as the leaders of apartheid South Africa.

Ian Smith insisted ‘there will be no majority rule in my lifetime – or in my children’s’, but internal war and international sanctions proved him wrong

The context of Smith's declaration of UDI was the deep distrust among Rhodesia's 200,000-strong white minority of Britain's motives in Africa following Harold Macmillan's 1960 "Winds of Change" speech which presaged Britain's withdrawal from the continent.

To Smith and his supporters it seemed the West was only too willing to overlook military dictatorship, violence and corruption in black Africa while condemning Rhodesian society which, whatever its shortcomings, offered relative security for its citizens.

The West, Smith argued, no longer had the will to stand up to Communism; Rhodesia was the front line, and the whites were not engaged merely in a battle for their existence but for civilised values.

To begin with, despite UN-imposed economic sanctions, Rhodesia's economy actually strengthened under UDI, and Ian Smith appeared to relish his position as an international pariah. Many international companies secretly broke the sanctions and Rhodesian businesses and farmers diversified to fill the gaps.

Smith managed to convince white Rhodesians that they could continue to defy world opinion indefinitely: "I don't believe in black majority rule over Rhodesia," he proclaimed, "not in a thousand years." The tide of white emigration from Rhodesia was reversed as thousands of whites, mainly from Britain and South Africa, came to enjoy the advantages of white supremacy.

Smith, the first native-born Rhodesian to lead his country, seemed a simple man, blunt, unemotional and lacking a sense of humour. He was awkward socially, disliked publicity, and his taste in clothes was drab. But his craggy, rough-hewn image concealed an astute tactical mind and a talent for political infighting which his opponents tended to underestimate.

advertisementSir Roy Welensky once remarked that "dealing with Smith is like trying to nail jelly to a wall. Make no mistake: Smith is a ruddy ruthless man."

British negotiators found that Smith constantly changed the goal posts of negotiation. He denied being a racist, yet almost in the same breath would insist that separate development and racial discrimination were essential ingredients of Rhodesian society.

But in the end it was not diplomacy which wore Smith down, but armed black opposition and, decisively, South Africa's decision to withdraw support. UDI galvanised black nationalist feeling, and, by 1972, guerrilla armies led by Robert Mugabe and Joshua Nkomo were leading regular attacks on white border farms.

From then on they conducted their activities from bases in Mozambique, and Smith countered with vigorous retaliatory measures by the Rhodesian armed forces. By 1977 the war was costing Rhodesia around £500,000 a day, and all able-bodied men between 18 and 60 were spending up to a third of the year on active service.

Smith took part in the talks at Lancaster House in London which were to set a new path for what would become Zimbabwe. The final result of UDI was that the white Rhodesians were landed with a deal that removed all traces of their political influence and, after the country's first democratic elections held in 1980, brought about the one thing Smith had promised them they would never have - a black Marxist government run by the man they most abhorred, Mugabe.

Ian Douglas Smith was born on April 8 1919 at Selukwe, Southern Rhodesia (now Shurugwi, Zimbabwe), the son of a Scottish-born butcher and cattle dealer who had emigrated in 1898.

Ian attended local schools at Selukwe and nearby Gwelo, then read Commerce at Rhodes University in Grahamstown, South Africa. There he met and married Janet Watt, the widow of a South African rugby player, whose views on race were if anything more hard-line than her husband's.

Smith interrupted his studies in 1939 to join the RAF, joining 237 (Rhodesia) Squadron. During the North Africa campaign he was stationed at Idcu, an airfield 20 miles from Alexandria where, in 1943, his Hurricane crashed on take-off, smashing his head against the instrument panel. Smith's face had to be surgically rebuilt, an operation which left him with a somewhat menacing stare.

In 1944, after his Spitfire was shot down over the Ligurian Alps, he spent five months with the Italian partisans before escaping over the Alps into France, where the Allies had just landed. He finished the war in Germany with 130 Squadron.

His war experiences left an indelible impression on Smith, and the fact that Rhodesia had done more than any other colony to help the mother country would become central to his sense of betrayal by post-war British governments.

Full obituary can be read here

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
IanO

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-11-07

Ian Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Smith   Ian Smith Icon_minitimeSat 24 Nov 2007, 16:18

Interesting choice of person to salute. Some might argue Ian Smith is more 'Best we forget' than 'Lest we forget'. How did you find him as an individual?
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Ian Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Smith   Ian Smith Icon_minitimeSat 24 Nov 2007, 18:53

I met him briefly, while he was Prime Minister, and found him a dry old stick

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Ian Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Smith   Ian Smith Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2009, 18:27

This picture was taken at the time I met Mr Smith

Ian Smith IanSmithshooting

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Sijkd1
Instructor
Sijkd1

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Ian Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Smith   Ian Smith Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 18:58

Just returned from SA and met a few Rhodesians there and have to say, I've never met one I didn't like. One of them, in light banter talked about how 'britain gave Rhodesia to Mugabe'. The country sounded beautiful and a place I'd love to see.

Maybe when Robert Mugabe has finished p1ssing Zimbabwe down the toilet, he can come a take up his rightful position as head of the SIA, he'll fit right in there. Maybe then I can see the country.

I wonder what the world will make of Smith's regime when compared to Mugabe's when all is said and done.......'cos bad as it is, it ain't over yet.

Si
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Ian Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Smith   Ian Smith Icon_minitimeFri 05 Jun 2009, 19:47

"We used to visit Rhodesia, and see the Zimbabwe Ruins. Now, we visit Zimbabwe and see the ruins of Rhodesia"

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ian Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Smith   Ian Smith Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ian Smith
Page 1 of 1