Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos

Go down 
+2
Dennis
Ben
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ben
Instructor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-07-26

Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos Empty
PostSubject: Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos   Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos Icon_minitimeWed 05 Nov 2008, 17:03

"I have thought for many years that the WWII methods deserve to be considered, to use Japanese terminology, a "ryu". . . the Japanese ryu preserve many things not for their utility, but as a link to an honored past. "
Fred Hutchinson. This forum.

I had these words in mind on a recent climbing trip to Cornwall when we climbed Commando Ridge, where the commandos trained during WW2.

[img]Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos Comman10[/img]

Looking down on the lower part of the climb.

[img]Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos Plaque10[/img]

The memorial plaque near the top.
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9911
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos   Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos Icon_minitimeWed 05 Nov 2008, 18:08

That's terrific Ben. Must have been a real honour to retrace that climb.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
Giles
Instructor

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos   Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos Icon_minitimeThu 06 Nov 2008, 12:08

Hi all,

Commando Ridge (also called Bosigran Ridge) is a fantastic climb, a beautiful knife edge ridge that starts at sea level and ends at a perfect picnic spot a few hours later. It's one of my favourite ever climbs, and I'd love to get back down there some time in the next couple of summers to do it again. Here's the best photo I could find of the first pitch (section).

http://www2.union.ic.ac.uk/rcc/outdoor/gallery/data/media/46/Cornwall_2007_002_Large.jpg

It's about 8 pitches in total and this first one looks (and is) the fiercest, although the climb itself is actually relatively straight forward and well within the bounds of anyone to be taken up, even if they haven't climbed before. Although reasonably easy, it worth remembering that the commandos often did it at night, in big boots (not delicate sticky rock climbing shoes) carrying weapons and heavy packs, and with machine guns firing overhead, and probably after a long fast march.

If you're ever down that way it's a beautiful place that's well worth a visit even if you're not going to climb the ridge itself. If you would like to climb the ridge there are a few good Mountain Guides and Instructors down that way that could take you up it, I'd highly recommend it as a great day.

Giles
Back to top Go down
Dave McC
Instructor
Dave McC

Number of posts : 1158
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos   Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos Icon_minitimeTue 11 Nov 2008, 14:46

Ben, Giles you might find this interesting.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1473259/Geoffrey-Rees-Jones.html
Its a small world
Geoffrey-Rees-Jones was my Principal for 8 years where he used to give me encouragement on the track.
I never new of his war feats until his death.

Dave McC
Back to top Go down
Macdonald

Macdonald

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos   Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos Icon_minitimeWed 12 Nov 2008, 11:58

That`s the business Ben!

Well done for honouring the original boys by taking it all the way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.historicalfencing.org/Macdonaldacademy
Ben
Instructor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos   Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos Icon_minitimeMon 17 Nov 2008, 12:08

Cheers guys.
I've always had a bit of an interest in WW2 but it's this forum that has really helped me appreciate what people went through back then and what they did for us. The history of the climb was a big incentive for me and really added to the experience.

Dave, that's an impressive bit of history. Imagine having done all that, then having friends and workmates that you never told about it.

Ben
Back to top Go down
andyt
Suspended
andyt

Number of posts : 594
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos   Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos Icon_minitimeSun 23 Nov 2008, 23:32

Hi Ben
climbed Commando ridge myself many times before an accident put paid to my climbing days I used to free climb a lot too i miss it quite a lot.
Regards
Andyt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos   Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Climbing in the footsteps of the Commandos
Page 1 of 1