Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DavidWR

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-11-26

New member Empty
PostSubject: New member   New member Icon_minitimeWed 26 Nov 2008, 21:15

Hello,

My name is David. Background in many traditional martial arts as well as combatives/shooting from John Kary/Joe Green and John Holschen/Greg Hamilton. I have also trained in the various combat sports, boxing, thai boxing, bjj, judo.

I am here to learn and help others where i can. I am interested in historical as well as modern approaches to combatives (armed and unarmed).

David
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member Icon_minitimeWed 26 Nov 2008, 22:28

Welcome aboard David

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
jimmyfatwing
Instructor
jimmyfatwing

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2007-07-20

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member Icon_minitimeThu 27 Nov 2008, 07:40

Hi David

Nice to see you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jimmy-fatwing.co.uk
Giles
Instructor

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-24

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member Icon_minitimeThu 27 Nov 2008, 09:38

Hi there David,

When did you do the American Combatives stuff with John Kary? I had a bit of time training with 2 of his instructors in London, and then a week with him in West Virginia a while back. Never got to meet Joe, but exchanged a few emails with him. I see their website has changed a fair bit too, so not sure what changes there's been to the organisation.

Good to have you here.

Giles
Back to top Go down
DavidWR

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member Icon_minitimeThu 27 Nov 2008, 15:10

Thanks for having me here Dennis. I have heard a lot about you in the past from John.

Hey James! Always good to see you! I finally have had a chance to breathe! catching up on all my email and time to do some more research

Hi Giles, I started with John back around 1996 - 97. It was back when he was still with the Gung ho chuan. I actually met John through Bob Kasper. I ended up training with John on and off (very expensive!) - which is why I got heavily into combat sports - I could hit and get hit for $50 USD) until he retired and then started training with Joe Green. Joe has spent a lot of time getting American Comabtives back in shape - Joe is in Afghanistan right now doing training gigs there. If you were at camp this sept I wasn't there. You were probably training with Adrian in London or Nick Collins. More than happy to discuss anything you are interersted in detail.

David
Back to top Go down
Giles
Instructor

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-24

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member Icon_minitimeThu 27 Nov 2008, 15:28

Hi again David,

Yes, I trained with Nick and Adrian in London for a while in 2000/01, and then had a week doing unarmed stuff and some CQB/point shooting with John and a couple of other instructors in the US sometime in 2002. I haven't trained with anyone from the American Combatives lot since around then. And yes, it was expensive!

Giles
Back to top Go down
DavidWR

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member Icon_minitimeThu 27 Nov 2008, 16:01

Hey Giles,

Around 2002 - would have been Richard and Kenny probably doing the point shooting with you. Small little range on the side of the hill? Yeah, the prices got totally crazy. That was one of the big fights between me and John. I understand a person has to make a living but things can get out of hand. The good news is that Joe doesn't do that - or at leat I haven't seen it yet. I have been doing some gigs for him and we are not charging a lot.

Regarding training in UK, I know Adrian has moved to N. Ireland and is doing some pre-deployment type of gigs around there. Not sure if Nick is still in London. I have been looking at some video clips of Lee at urban combatives... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdQuvZdyyM&feature=related I am very impressed! Also, http://www.urbancombatives.com/nblood.htm - that seems like a good group of people to train with.

David
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New member Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member   New member Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1