Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR

Go down 
+16
Chris S
Nick Engelen
simon porter
Rob [Gutterfighters]
JimC
Dave McC
Sijkd1
poissonbracket
DenisMc
Greg Hall
steve
MancPete
Ben
jimmyfatwing
Kears10
Dennis
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Empty
PostSubject: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSat 03 Sep 2011, 17:23

Just got home from the first day, and what a day it was. As usual, great group of guys, top instruction and tremendous enthusiasm and intensity.
Here's a quick photo:

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Banner
This is the banner we use every year.....now it has a permanent home at the entrance to the new venue

I'll be posting some more pics soon

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
Kears10
Instructor

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSat 03 Sep 2011, 17:29

I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of those two!
Back to top Go down
jimmyfatwing
Instructor
jimmyfatwing

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSat 03 Sep 2011, 21:30

Great day, amazing enthusiasm and effort from the guys.

Evil Scots!

Shame I'm missing tomorrow (Nick E - I expect a detailed review please)

p.s. I failed, that number with the 2's has gone!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jimmy-fatwing.co.uk
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSat 03 Sep 2011, 23:57

Many thanks for your outstanding presentation James, gave us all more ideas. Also, thanks for bringing the copies of American Awrology.
We'll miss you tomorrow.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Ben
Instructor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-07-26

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSun 04 Sep 2011, 13:21

Like James I was sorry to only be there for day 1.

But as always it was well worth the trip - not just for the training but also to catch up with people and exchange ideas. i have a few stiff muscles today as a reminder!

Thanks to Den, all the instructors and all the participants.

Ben
Back to top Go down
MancPete
Instructor
MancPete

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSun 04 Sep 2011, 18:37

Everyone gave it their all again today, it was great to be a part of it. Got to say Den came up with an evil scenario drill for everyone and it was impressive to see how well everyone handled it.

Thanks to Den for a great weekend.

Peter
Back to top Go down
steve
Instructor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSun 04 Sep 2011, 19:01

Another great weekend it was as always a pleasure to train with such a great bunch if guys. Si and Peter were awesome in the suit scenario and everyone that had a fight against them was tremendous the best yet!!! Big thanks to Dennis for a great seminar looking forward to next year. Big thanks again Steve C
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSun 04 Sep 2011, 21:40

Just home from the informal PTS at the usual Chinese restaurant on the river, where the conversation was as good as the food.....that is excellent.
Just a quick note to echo what has been said regarding the scenario. Atruly outstanding level of performance by one and all. I agree, it's the best I've seen. Impressive!
More later.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Greg Hall
Instructor
Greg Hall

Number of posts : 225

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSun 04 Sep 2011, 22:42

Really enjoyed the last 2 days. Great new Training facility owned by two lovely people.
Some real good presentations and stress related drills. Definitely one of the better seminars for information.
Thanks to all instructors for sharing there knowledge thanks to den for the book and for putting the seminar together.
It has become the norm for the level of intensity from the participants to be through the roof.
Combatives has to change with the times you have to practice defending against what is occurring at different times and with this group we all get cutting edge material of some very knowledgeable guys.
The scenario drill was a doozy ha ha very sneaky!! Both guys in the suit performed very well as usual.
We had a good chat and scoff at the chinese too.

STAY SAFE !
Back to top Go down
DenisMc
Instructor

Number of posts : 228

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSun 04 Sep 2011, 23:22

Agree with everything that was said. The effort and skill level was amazing.

A great experience and always great to see the old faces and meet some new ones. The chats at the intervals and over the breakfast and dinner are a big part of the enjoyment though we missed Chris and Dave's considered insights because they were in the wrong hotel.

The quality of the material presented is always extraordinary and I come away with loads of throughts and ideas.

I need a soothing bath.

Thanks to everyone for their contribution.
Back to top Go down
poissonbracket
Instructor
poissonbracket

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 08:40

Fantastic weekend. I am sitting in work aching, trying to come up with a credible reason for my bruised face andl I can think of is how much I enjoyed the it. I learned so much and was made aware of some serious weaknesses and areas for improvement, so although the two days are over they will, in a sense, carry on for months.
Enormous thanks to everyone there.

Mark
Back to top Go down
Sijkd1
Instructor
Sijkd1

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 08:45

Brilliant weekend; many thanks to all involved. Cannot agree more about the performance in all the drills over the 2 days....people left it on the line.

An honour to train with such motivated and inspiring people.

Thanks to Dennis for making it happen; thanks to everyone for being there; thanks to all the instructors for their presentations; thank to Steve Cal and Pete for making the scenarios happen !

Special thanks to Shackleton for my headache this morning.

:-)

Si
Back to top Go down
Dave McC
Instructor
Dave McC

Number of posts : 1158

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 10:36

Another hard International.
Thank’s to Den for that, a good new venue.
It’s said every year it gets harder, it does, but its the
quality.
Every one knows the strikes and the safety and you get top training
Nice one from Chris and Steve who gave me some session.
Shacks presentaion was very well spoken...great stuff.

By the way, some of the lads believed the Story I told of Den McG walking around Edinburgh with a walking stick hoping to get mugged.
That was not true.
He does not walk with a stick.
Back to top Go down
JimC

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-07-22

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 15:25

Just got out of the bath, after getting home about an hour ago, my body is definately reminding me of a really great weekend of training, drills, challenges and meeting some great people!

I will echo the big thanks to Den, Si, Adam & Sue, and all the other instructors who made this happen, I learnt a hell of a lot, especially areas I need to improve on.

A quick note on the final szenario, fantastically run with a great OODA reset! Many thanks to Pete and Si for the energy and drive they put into the attacks.

What a great resource you guys in and around Liverpool have in the Gutterfighters, really looking forward to coming back soon.

Cheers

Jim

Last edited by JimC on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 12:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Names mixed up!)
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 16:54

Jim, I was delighted you finally got over to an International.It's always great to have members from all parts of the "community" together, training, exchanging ideas, chatting and sharing a joke. Hope to see you again in the near future.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Rob [Gutterfighters]

Rob [Gutterfighters]

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 19:00

As a relative novice to Combatives and a little reluctant to what I was letting myself in for it was truly an honour to be part of the 2 day seminar working with Gentlemen, who showed great patience in cajoling and pushing me to limits I was unaware of.

Many thanks Den its something I never forget

Rob
Back to top Go down
simon porter
Instructor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2007-08-01

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 21:24

I can only agree with everything said above, thank you for another great training experience. My thanks go out to Den and all the instructors who make these events what they are, and thanks to everyone else there for setting such a high standard of training.

si
Back to top Go down
JimC

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-07-22

PostSubject: AAR 9th International Combatives Seminar   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeTue 06 Sep 2011, 13:16

After years of trying my work schedule finally allowed me the opportunity to attend Den's annual 'International'.

The day before I left I had just finished reading Marcus' "With a Vengeance" so ended up profiling everyone on the flight (funnily enough 2 individuals I clocked were delayed at the boarding gate and almost delayed the flight!)

I flew into Manchester on the Friday evening and was met by an old army mate who ran me to Liverpool, where we met up with another old army mate for a short reminiscence about old times and caught up on what we were doing theses days over a couple of beers.

Saturday morning I was up early in anticipation and after a hearty breakfast at the hotel I jumped on the bus and headed down to the training centre, calling at the supermarket to stock up on water and snacks. Arriving at the centre I found I was early so stood under a tree out of the rain and watched the entertainment, a group of 2 men and 2 women obviously still under the influence of something from their Friday night who apparently had a grievance with the Car Phone Warehouse, this escalated from loud verbal abuse to kicking the door, finally before departing in a taxi one of the women demonstratively 'fired' her finger pistol at the security guy in the shop several times. So with my situational awareness tweaked I awaited the arrival of the rest of the guys.

By 1030 most people were there and I got to put faces to names from the forum having only met Den and Slacky in person before. The seminar kicked off with a short presentation from Den showing an amazing display of WW2 Assassination weapons he had filmed during a trip to Norway, all belonging to one collector who even permitted handling of the weapons.

Then Ben was up with a presentation about Memory in Self Protection with some good drills to train the memory for faces, STAN's game and numbers the Peg System (it works! PoM NuNNs R FoGy)

James then gave us a presentation on "Tactical Tyres" - a great training aid, with lots of new applications and some great drills, finishing off with a good pad drill to start getting the blood flowing. Steve warmed us up then Den set the tone for the training mindset by reminding us of the ears, nose and lips incident!

The practical drills began with the theme of adapting TMA techniques to street/reality applications covering Karate, Judo and Boxing techniques with some great demonstrations to model by Greg (double-hip) and Brian (boxing).

Next came some great Stress drills with DaveMcC and DenisMc which had everyone really ramped up and gasping at the end.

We finished the day with an in-fight boxing tabata of I can't remember how many rounds but by the end I was definitely "stinging like a butterfly" as DenMc aptly put it. Brian stretched us off and we dispersed for a shower, many thanks to Mark for the lift back to the hotel.

A few of us rv'd in the hotel bar for a good chat before heading into town for the PTS at a chinese restaurant which we eventually located and had a great meal where I entertained our table with my (lack of) beer juggling skills (Sorry Nick!!) and my demonstration of pain tolerance with steaming hot dumplings!!

Sunday morning at breakfast in the hotel we once again had a good chat, before heading back to the centre ready for Day 2.

We started the day off with an excellent presentation by Shackleton on Functional Weight Training with some points which, as he stated, appeared obvious (after he had pointed them out to us!)

Den then warmed us up with sprawls and pad drills which got my aching body working again.

Greg took us through a series of reaction drills that built up into a fast, aggressive flow drill. This was great to train the constant aggressive attacking mindset following a trigger action by an attacker. We then moved on to cover some counter clinch options from various stages of a clinch

Next Pete and Si took us through some grappling applications, which for me highlighted one of things I need to work on, starting with ground work then moving on to reacting to double leg takedowns, including adding a knife to the mix.

Finally it was time for the scenario, with a big mental build up, lots of mind games which definitely raised the adrenaline levels and apprehension of the pre-fight phys in the sweat-box room.

I have done a few scenarios before, mainly tactics or firearms related, but this was by far the most intense, real adrenal dump I have experienced in training, more so even than some real operational situations. The OODA disrupt was perfect and then the fight was on! I recall very little of what went on till Slacky was stood next to me debriefing me, though I still haven't a clue what he said.

We finished the day with a group debrief on the weekend. Then those who didn't have to leave met at the Chinese on the river for another great PTS, all on our best behaviour for the fearsome waitress!

It just remains to express my thanks and appreciation for all the guys who made this such a great weekend, Den, Si, Pete, Greg and all the other Instructors, as well as all the guys I got to train with, and chat with during training or over a beer or meal (which I hope was everybody there!)

…and now time to start preparing for the 10th!!
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeTue 06 Sep 2011, 16:53

Thanks for the detailed review Jim. It's always great to get the perspective of those attending for the first time. It was certainly great to see you again, since that BG Course in '93, then the Sweden program.

Here's the group on the Saturday [a couple more were added on the Sunday]

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR ClassphotoSat

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Nick Engelen

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeFri 09 Sep 2011, 07:28

Manchester 2010 seminar
Organized by Dennis Martin
On Friday 2 September after a quick meal and packing my bags my dad brought me to the airport. Arriving at the airport I checked in and went through security to have a pizza-snack while waiting before boarding the plane. This started my trip to Liverpool UK for the 9th Combatives International, an annual event organised by Dennis Martin. Arriving in Manchester I collected my bags and went to the train station to get a train to Liverpool Lime street. From there I took a cab to the hotel. At the hotel there seemed to be some kind of party going on as there was a lot of music coming out of the bar’s open doors. I intended to have a look after checking in. I paid the cabdriver and walked to the reception to check in. While checking in however the staff informed me that the bar would close in 45 minutes so I quickly went to my room to put off the bags and went down to the bar to check if my friends were inside. Coming into the bar doing a quick scan I couldn't see any familiar faces. Walking through the bar I found the two Scotsmen Denis and Dave. Usually most of the guys that live further away from Liverpool than Manchester or Leeds stay over at the hotel so I was surprised nobody else was there and so were Den and Dave. Since 2005 we had trained in the Prescott Leisure centre and as a consequence stayed in the Rainhill Premier inn which was one of the nearest hotels. As the Prescott Leisure centre was to be knocked down the event had been moved to a new venue in West-Derby so we attendees looked for a hotel closer to the venue. Premier inn being a good brand balancing price quality perfectly Den had proposed this hotel on the forum.

Dave presented me with a box of short-breads, a Scottish delicates which I wrongfully named cookies before corrected by Dave. We had a little chat about various things over a beer before going upstairs for sleep.

Next morning after having a full English breakfast Dave and Den offered me a ride to the venue. So around 9.40 we drove off, stopped at the local supermarket to buy some supplies before arriving at a gym. However it was the wrong gym... After getting directions over the phone from Den we took off again to stop near a telecom-shop. Looking around we couldn't see a gym and asked a passerby who was convinced that there wasn't a gym but walking around the corner there was a sign saying Mushin gym at the side of the building. Entering the building we were greeted by a nice lady looking down from the floor upstairs. We went up, put down our kit and changed shoes to be greeted by Simon Squires and directed to the backroom as the seminar had already started.

Opening the door there was an air of excitement as everybody was attentively watching a clip about WW2 hidden weapons. After saying hello to Slacky who was sitting closest to the door I walked over to Den to say hello and found a spot next to him to watch the presentation.

MEMORY IN COMBATIVES

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Ben
After this presentation Ben, an instructor from Leeds took over for a module on memory and combatives. He explained that after a violent altercation most people aren't of the forgiving kind especially not when they were on the losing side so it's useful to be able to remember what the person looked like. Also when doing a job as a doorman it’s useful to remember the face of people who caused trouble it the past. Further things to remember are phone numbers to call for help when your cell phone can be stolen or damaged during a fight, or codes of door locks that are used in some hotels.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Memoryslide

Ben explained some techniques to help people to recognise people like noticing a distinctive feature and caricaturise it or thinking of a nickname. Ben mentioned that it was done by many doormen and it was also frequently used in Geoff Thompson's books. However he also explained that criminals sometimes fake a feature to lose it after their dirty deed to throw people off the hook. He had meant to have us practising this outside and to find some people to look at and find some features that could lead to a nickname. Unfortunately it was raining so we couldn't do that exercise however we went next room to have a go with our fellow attendees.

I made use of the opportunity to say hello to everyone and ask what we had missed. It was good to see my old friends but also good to see some new people. I asked Den if I was the only foreigner and he told me there was also Jim C who had travelled over from Germany. Jim who seemed to have picked up that we were talking about him came over where after Den kindly introduced us to each other. After a short chat I found out that he was originally from the UK which meant that I was the only foreigner this time... It turned out that he was in the same hotel as I was but as we didn't know each other yet at that time we didn't notice each other.

After this short exercise we went back to the lecture-room to debrief the exercise and to be introduced to the peg system, a way to remember numbers by attaching a letter to each one of them. For example Z for 0, L for 1 N for 2 etc... From those letters we can form a word which is easier to remember. After an exercise on this Ben discussed some tools like the camera on your cell phone and pencil and paper... After Ben finished his presentation some ideas were exchanged where after the module ended.

During the break Den switched on the video again for the people who were late so we could watch.

TRAINING WITH TYRES

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Tyreslide

The next module was presented by James Fatwing, it was about the use as car tires for training. James explained that tires are cheap and plenty and very sturdy when you want to use them for weapons training. It reminded me of my aikido practise where people practice their sword cuts on a car-tire.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Jamesduringlecture

James also explained how the tire can be used for PT as it's a weight. After a demonstration of a couple of possibilities to use the tire for drills he was of the opinion we had been sitting on our asses for long enough and moved us next door for a drill.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Jamestyre1
It was on a big thai pad, we had to mount it as if it was a grappling opponent and hit it. On a short whistle we had to go full out for 5 seconds, on a long whistle we would back some distance away before re-engaging on command. This for 2 minutes.

After this excellent module we were handed over to Den who took us through a warm-up. Jogging around the room I had a quick chat with Chris to find out where they were staying as he and his friend Dave usually stay at the same hotel as I do. Turned out they stayed at the Rainhill Premier inn where we stayed the year before. As I intended to leave some chocolates to one of the receptionists there who had kindly helped me out in the past I told that was very convenient for me. The reply I got was: 'I am not going to talk to any women on your behalf.' I was wondering how he knew what I was going to ask...

After the jog we did some wheelbarrow exercises before being handed over to Steve, one of the Gutterfighters.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR SteveC
[Steve Callaghan]

The drill Steve took us tough was very similar to the two minute rounds boxers do on a heavy bag but then the combatives way. The first round was only tiger claws for two minutes, the break consisted out of ten push-ups, ten sit-ups, ten star jumps and then into round two which consisted out of tiger claws and elbows followed by the fitness exercises where after the last round came consisting out of tiger claws, elbows and knees.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Gilesholdingpads
[Giles holding pads]

I had already done this one at the November-course in Manchester and knew how hard it was. The tiredness of the travel the day before together with the knowledge the drill was hard almost made me bottle out of it. However I knew the training is about pushing through these feelings so I gave it a go.

ADAPTING THE MARTIAL ARTS

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR DenteachingKarateXstrike

Now being fully warmed up Den took over again with a module on taking bits and parts out of the traditional martial arts for the street. The first technique shown was the classical karate upper block. Many people like Peter Consterdine and Geoff Thompson wrote that action beats reaction and thus making a block ineffective. However Den explained that this block can be used offensively making it a forearm strike into the opponents upper chest, neck or face. We practised this on a partner and pads.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR MarkKaratepads
[Mark working on the strikes, while Tony holds pads]

Next came karate-body mechanics presented by Greg Hall. Greg chose the double hip elbow shot to illustrate the body mechanics.

Brian, one of the Gutterfighters, showed us a boxing-jab. Whereafter we drilled the open handed version.
Another technique showed by Den was interrupting the limbs. It reminded me of a Kurosawa movie named Red Beard where in Toshiro Mifune plays a doctor. When trying to move a patient to his practise they get attacked by a number of villagers. The Mifune character uses joint disruption and dislocation techniques to defeat his attackers where after he goes round to fix them...

Then came a technique very familiar to me as an aikido practitioner. Den showed us a technique that's known as a clothesline in rugby or as iriminage to aikido people. Irimi means entering of the body. The technique was first demonstrated as a third party-protection technique where someone tries to attack your VIP, partner, etc... After that we drilled it various ways, one on one, defensively and pre-emptively.
The next technique came out of judo and was the naked strangle made famous by MMA. Simon Squires who is a judo expert showed us the technique and some of the common mistakes. We drilled the technique starting from the rear as well as starting from the front turning the opponent.

The final technique shown in this module was a leg sweep both used by judo and karate practitioners. After finishing the drill Den concluded the module with explaining that he had been wanting to teach this module for some years but never found the time in the schedule.

DEVELOPING MENTAL TOUGHNESS

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Daveexplainsdrill
[Big Dave Mac explains the drill]

After a short break we were handed over to Den and Dave from Scotland. For the drill a head guard and boxing gloves were needed. I didn't have any of them with me as they take quite some space in my luggage. Asking around I couldn't find some spares so decided to watch. The first drill looked gruelling as people had to lie down on the floor and fight their way up while having three people on top of them.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Jimdogpile
[Jim about to be dogpiled]

Following that they had to go in foetal position where after they got covered by thaipads to which was kicked to simulate a boot fest and give the victim some stress.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR DenMc
[Den Mac outlines the next phase]

After that they had to take place against the wall and had to try pushing trough, not around, several people with Thai-pads for some time. Although given no chance at all, everyone showed good effort.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Siinthemix
[Si as part of the scrum....somewhere in there a guy is fighting to push through!]

Next part of the module showed some kind of milling with blows only to the trunk. After a bout people swapped partner and did it again till everybody had fought with everyone. Guess everyone was impressed by Big Dave who didn't seem to tire and fired people on with the words 'come on, hit me, hit me' which reminded me of Mohamed Ali..

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR BodyshotTabata
[The bodyshot Tabata Drill...truly gruelling]

This concluded the first day. We all posed for a group picture before getting back to the hotel to fresh up for the Chinese meal. In the hotel I quickly washed up, changed clothes and went to the bar to meet up with Slacky. There we had a chat over a drink and were soon joined by JimC, Dave and Denis. Slacky soon left to collect Chris and Dave from the other hotel while the rest of us waited for a cab to bring us to town.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR 049811_7ab5f0ec

In town we had some trouble finding the Chinese restaurant as it turned out that the name had changed quite recently. But we found it and soon we were having nice conversations over a meal and drinks with gorgeous waitresses walking around. After the meal the cab brought us back to the hotel where we all went straight to bed as it had been a tiring day and more was to come next day.

DAY TWO

Next morning I met Jim C, Den and Slacky at breakfast. We shared some stories about various subjects like wild animals and hunting. After finishing breakfast we went back to our rooms to prepare for our second day of the 9th international.

FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH
Arriving at the venue I saw we had some more attendees, Shackleton and his protégé. I was happy to see them both in good shape. After everyone was in we were directed to the lecture room and the seminar started.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Shackletonlecturesecure

Shackleton started with a module on weight training for combatives. It was a superb and very informative presentation. The key points again; there can't be fitness built on dysfunction and practise what you want to be good at.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Classduringlecture

DRILLS & SKILLS
After this presentation Den started the physical with a warm up in the form of several reaction drills.

This led into a present from Scotland as the drill was had been introduced by Alain Becket at a previous seminar... the drill involved one side gloving up and the other side undoing their tops.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Skins

The "skins" tasks was to touch the three pillars in the room while being free game to get hit by the team with the gloves. I was in the gloved up team and as there were plenty of targets it looked like Christmas. A couple of minutes later we swapped sides and I heard some the bare-chested guys say it was time for retribution and revenge... When the start signal was given I went for the pillars one by one while mostly ignoring the attacks, just fending up and storming trough the chaos. After touching all the three pillars I took the fight by the enemy by fending up and pushing forward making their attacks ineffective and attacking them with my elbows in their chest.... Chasing attackers and pinning them in corners got them confused as they told me I was supposed to go for the pillars to which I said 'I've already done them all'.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR ActionduringDenslesson
[The "skins" under pressure]

Now we were warm we Den explained that if there was a theme to this year's seminar it was the ground. As many people start to being trained in some sort of martial art and mixed martial arts are very popular amongst today's criminals we need to train with that in mind. During a real life encounter a friend of Si had been choked out, Den explained we had to react as if having a phobia to being on the floor and to being grabbed from behind.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Denteachingsecure

He showed us some ways to break away from being grabbed from behind. The trick is to do it as early as possible before the guy grabbing you can put on strength.

COUNTERING THE CLINCH
Next we were handed over to Greg who took us trough a module which was built up from a shove to disrupt a punch where after moves taken from the Philippino arts were added.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Gregteaching1
[Greg showing some of his counter-clinch methods]

Talking to Den about this he said that Greg had really come up with a really elegant solution to the problem of reducing fear of the unknown, when confronting potential violence, and that it was a “mini-Combatives system” in itself.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Chrisduringclinchdefence
[Chris during a clinch resistance drill]

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR JimandSi
[Action during Greg's presentation]

ESCAPES ON THE GROUND

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Peteteaching
[Pete working a drill on Si]

Firstly a module by Pete Wilson based on his experience in countless fights wearing the padded suit. He noticed that many people had problems escaping from being restrained on the groud. His presentation, therefor, covered the fundamentals of using positioning, creating distance and recognizing opportunities to escape.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR ClassduringPetelesson

A constant theme emphasised by Den during the weekend was keeping off the ground, and Pete showed how to make this happen.

DEALING WITH MODERN THREATS

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Siteaching

Last but not least there was one more module for that day before being thrown for the lions or padded assailant. Simon Squires took us trough a module about ground fighting starting with some drilling of the basics.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR ActionduringSidrill

He explained that the key of ground fighting was in relaxation versus using brute strength tiring yourself out. To illustrate this point we were being pinned down by our partner and had to try to get out using brute strength. After this he showed us various escapes from the floor which we drilled.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Sitakedowndefence

-----------------------------------------------

SURPRISE!

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Siinthesuit

Now came the cherry of the cake; the scenario drill... After a short briefing we were all asked to go outside. A bit later we were asked to go downstairs as we still could look inside. Waiting down the stairs I had a chat with Adam about some interesting subjects. On a certain moment we were told that Peter and Simon had switched so we had to fight Simon. I wanted a fresh opponent so after Adam went in, I volunteered to go next. Big Dave guided me to the door from where I saw Simon standing in the middle of the room. From the moment he saw me he gave me some abuse trying to wind me up. I went into the lecture-room for the anaerobic exercises were Steve started to give me orders with all the shouting I didn't understand which exercise it was. While trying to figure out what was expected from me I suddenly felt a blow... Soon the confusion turned into getting pissed off for being hit. So I retaliated... the surrounding people started to shout. The fight was on. After working the assailant into a corner he fell to the floor with me on top of him. Raining strikes down on him before being dragged off. Steve told me it was over, however I thought I was supposed to fight Si so expected another attack from behind any moment. He came in to show me the drill was over but still I was only sure when people told me to sit down on the bench while the next 'victim' came in. I enjoyed watching the last couple of attendees perform. Everyone did well.

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Actionblurred
[This rather blurred picture captures the intensity]

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Suitfight

After everyone had went through the scenario drill we assembled next door and were a debriefed by Den, Si and Peter. After that there was a little ceremony where some presents were given to Simon, Brian, Jim and me. This concluded the day for most of us. Some of us went for a Chinese meal on the River. The conversations were funny, the food was delicious and the company was great. After finishing our meals and paying the bill Slacky, Jim and I drove back to the hotel where we had a nice conversation over a beer before going to bed.

LIVERPOOL
The next morning having breakfast and after packing up I checked out and went with Slacky to collect Den and drive to town. After visiting a second hand bookshop were we bought some nice finds we went for a coffee in the local Waterstones bookshop. There we had many conversations about various subjects. From there we walked to Chinatown for a meal. Den ordered us several Dim-Sum starters for us to try. The food was delicious as well was the tea. We chatted about the seminar, books, movies etc... After finishing our meals we went off to the train station for me to get my train to the airport. When informing myself at the ticket desk for the train schedule they told me due to circumstances I wouldn't be able to get on time at the airport so I better took a cab. I walked back to Den and Slacky and told them I had to go grab a taxi. Slacky saved me by offering to bring me. I said my goodbye to Den where after Slacky and I went on our way. After a rough forty-five minutes we arrived at the airport where I thanked Slacky and hurried myself to the check in. After checking in and going through the security I went for a beer. Perhaps the barmaid also had seen Ben's presentation as she recognised me and the last time I had been there was March...

Soon we had to board the plane and were on our way to Belgium... I was a bit annoyed by the people sitting behind me who were talking very loud and all the time but was amused when thinking of Ben's lecture about caricaturising certain features as the duo sounded very similar to Hoops and Yoyo often depicted on the interactive Hallmark e-cards. About an hour later we landed in Brussels and after collecting my luggage my dad collected me to drive back to home.

This concluded a great trip and a great weekend with fantastic instructors, fantastic training and a wonderful group of people to share it with.
[center]
The End

By

Nick Engelen
Photos by Den
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep 2011, 11:52

Some more photos....

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Helmets
[Ready to put a victim through hell!]

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Adampads
[Adam on the pads]

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Briangroundpad
[Brian going all out]

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Mushinteeshirt
[Mushin Martial arts centre teeshirt]

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Adamtyrestick
[Adam using a training weapon on the tyre]

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Teatime
[Tea break]

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Instructor

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-09-04

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep 2011, 19:42

I've not had the chance to get properly online until now, but I'd like to say my thanks to everyone involved for yet another awesome weekend. As always particular thanks to Den, to Si and Pete in the suit and to all the instructors.

It's a privilege to be involved and to get to train with such an excellent group!
Back to top Go down
thebristolbloke

thebristolbloke

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSun 11 Sep 2011, 10:17

Great review Nick!!

phil

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeSun 11 Sep 2011, 22:29

Hi Phil thanks. How are you these days?
Back to top Go down
Kemlyn

Number of posts : 940
Registration date : 2007-08-03

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitimeTue 13 Sep 2011, 11:53

Looks like an amazing weekend.
Even managed to get a few Irimi Nages in!(where's Steven Seagal when you need him?).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9th International Seminar 2011 AAR   9th International Seminar 2011 AAR Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

9th International Seminar 2011 AAR
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next