Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Empty
PostSubject: Swiss Army Knives and Multitools   Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2020, 09:33

SAKs & MULTITOOLS

Many of us find a pocket-knife, or, multitool an essential item. Here are a few observations from my experience.

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Multitools-EDIT-S
Some kit discussed in the article.

A= Original Leatherman
B= Smith & Wesson Response Knife
C= Wenger Swiss Army Instructor Knife
D= Leatherman Wave]

THE SWISS ARMY KNIFE
Working on VIP Protection Teams from the 1970s onwards, I found a Swiss Army Knife [SAK] invaluable. My favourite model was the “Swiss Champ” and the various blades and tools were asset for me all over the World. Applications ranged from opening bottles at a Royal picnic, to using the screwdrivers to change electrical plugs. Or, using the mini-screwdriver to repair spectacles. The mini-scissors are a gem, for tasks from cutting threads off ladies dresses to slicing adhesive dressings into butterfly strips.
The combination of magnifying glass and tweezers give the best way of dealing with splinters, and countless VIP family members have been grateful for this, which goes a long way to building up your credibility with them.
The saw on the SAK is highly efficient, and could be a real plus in any outdoors situation.
As well as VIP Protection I was equally involved in firearms training, and the SAK was always on my gunbelt. Numerous tasks from cutting targets to create shoot/no-shoot arrays in CQB Houses, to adjusting sights have been done by my Swiss Champ. You could always rely on the SAK. It was there with you, while a whole shedful of tools were left behind.
I lost my Swiss Champ on a range, and the lads in RSA very kindly presented me with the Wenger "Instructor knife" shown in the first picture. Among the usual useful tools is a telescoping pointer, which is useful while lecturing; and also as a probe on search tasks in VIP Protection.

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Wenger11
[Wenger Instructor Knife]

I've been re-reading my collection of Africana books by Peter Hathaway Capstick, and wanted to share the following quote from  Safari, the Last Adventure:

I’d sooner go on Safari without my rifle as my Swiss Army knife. I have skinned out impala often, and once, on a bet [provided I was allowed to sharpen it twice] caped a bull buffalo, using only the large 2.5 " blade.

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Sak_1_10

Essentially, I love Swiss Army knives the way I love double rifles. My favourite is now about twenty years old, having been purchased on a whim at Newark Airport, and we have shared more adventures than Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. With this I have executed such critical errands as carving a new wooden mekugi holding peg for the handle of a newly acquired Samurai sword, out of a coat hanger in my suite at the Plza Hotel; sawing, filing and finishing a new warthog ivory bead for an Evans .470 Nitro Express rifle; extracting wood splinters more than an inch deep against the bottom of my foot bones; cutting the heads off one rattlesnake and one Egyptian cobra; probing a bullet wound [not mine] drilling sling-swivel holes in solid walnut stocks and a host of other minor Herculean labours. There’s practically nothing you can’t do with one, and if it won’t do the job, you can use it to build the tools that will!”

I heartily recommend the Swiss Army knife and the writings of Peter Hathaway Capstick

THE LEATHERMAN TOOL
  I never thought a device would rival my favourite SAK, then along came Jim Leatherman, with his rediscovery of the multitool. The concept dates back to Victorian times, with the combination pliers and blades device by Rodgers.

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Rogers10
[Victotian era multitool]

Revived during WW-2 by the SOE, it is a sought after collector’s item.

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Soe_es10
[Original SOE Escape Tool]

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Den_so11
[Den with SOE tool]

The concept rediscovered by Jim Leatherman and marketed in 1983 as the “Leatherman Tool” It was a big hit in the tactical community, where it was sometimes known wryly as the “portable interrogation kit”
I acquired one early on and discovered certain strong points. The pliers are, obviously, the main attraction, and do fulfil a real need. Also, although the blades and screwdrivers don’t actually lock positively in place, they are, in effect, locked by the gripping action, and cannot close on your fingers, making strenuous work safer than with the SAK.
I was won over, and replaced my SAK with a Leatherman. This device has become an issue item with many military and police units, including the South African “Taakkies” the most experienced hostage-rescue unit in the World.
Since then, both the Multitool and the SAK have continued to develop, and newer models have adopted the best features of each other
Although I still have my original model, I currently use the Leathernan "Wave"

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Swiss_10
[Favourite Multitool with favourite pistol]

OTHER DEVICES
  There are numerous useful additions based on the SAK/Multitool concept. Hre we will discuss some of them:

SMITH & WESSON FIRST RESPONSE KNIFE
  This really fits into the categorgy of a rescue knife, but I'll discuss it anyway:

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Smith-10

I was given mine at a training conference trade show in America. The first thing you need to do is sharpen it, as out of the box it is dull.
Features:
Thumb stud on the top of the blade for quick easy opening even when wearing gloves.
Half serrated blade, the serrated part is design for rope or cord cutting.
Handle has insert panels for  better grip.
Glass breaker on the bottom of the handle.
Built in seat belt cutter on the back of the handle.
Clip on the back so you can carry it on a belt or pocket.
Blade edge is 8cm long
Blade is 8.5cm long
Overall length open is 20cm
Length closed is 12cm
-----------------------------------------------------

LEATHERMAN MICRA

A device many have found useful is the Leatherman Micra......

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Leathe10

....designed to clip onto a keyring, it gives you several useful tools in a very handy package.
Tools include:

420HC Clip Point Knife
Extra-small Screwdriver
Medium Screwdriver
Flat Phillips Screwdriver
Spring-action Scissors
Nail File/Cleaner
Bottle Opener
Ruler
Tweezers
Features:

Stainless Steel Handles
Stainless Steel Body
Key Ring Attachment

Measurements:

2.5 in | 6.5 cm (closed)
1.8 oz | 51 g
1.6 in | 4.06 cm (blade length)
----------------------------------------------
SWISS TOOL
Not to be outdone, Victorinox has their own version of the Multitool...

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Swisst10

Main features:
Most important tools
Pliers
You open the pliers by opening the handles. The beak has been enhanced with small serrations that offer you additional grip. The tip is relatively small for precise tasks, such as bending fish hooks. The spine of the beak is curved to make sure you can easily move around in tight corners and bend a wire with ease. The pliers has been enhanced with a wire cutter and wire stripper. The wire cutter is also great for cutting small sticks and stems. Good pliers come in handy more often than you might think.
Large knife
The large droppoint knife is razor-sharp and has a cutting edge of no less than 7 cm. Once opened the knife will immediately be locked. As such the tool can never close when you don't want it to, also making it perfect for heavy-duty tasks. When opening and closing the blade you hear a familiar click. The knife is very solid and perfect for outdoor and survival purposes.
Wood saw
The solid teeth cover approximately 7 cm of the saw blade. Branches the size of a wrist are therefore easy to get through. The saw is thin. The spine is approximately 1 mm thick and the teeth 1.3 mm thick. Because the spine is smaller than the teeth the saw won't get stuck in the wood and it limits friction. In addition to living wood this saw can handle pallets and shelves. When gardening and working around the house the Spirit is a true life-saver!
File
The file has three sides you can use. One side that functions as a metal file, a rougher side for softer metals and a side that functions as a metal saw. This is the narrow base of the file and it is perfect when sawing screws or nails in half.
------------------------
5.11 TOOL
Another tiny but useful multi-tool comes from 5.11

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Closedview2_zps89976f21

Very compact the tool includes pliers, knife, saw, wire cutters and flashlight...

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Openview_zps55ceaf25

I'm currently carrying it in a small pocket on my go bag

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools Inpouch2_zpse7a76aae

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com

Swiss Army Knives and Multitools
Page 1 of 1