Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Paul Gomez

Go down 
+5
Serge
thebristolbloke
Dennis
Random
Slackbladder
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Slackbladder
Instructor
Slackbladder

Number of posts : 681
Registration date : 2007-07-21

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jun 2012, 03:06

Gents,

I doubt many of you will have met the esteemed Mr Paul Gomez. He was a gentleman of the southern United States, much fascinated by the martial side of life. It is he to whom we owe a burden of debt for forcing Southnarc into the private training circuit, and thereby opening the problem of in-fight-weapons-access to the greater public. Gomez was a historian, raconteur and eccentric. I counted him as a friend and mourn his passing. Writing about him in the past tense hurts. I would encourage everyone who is remotely interested in firearms training to have a good look through his Gomez Training.com website and view his YouTube channel for gun stuff that has been subject to much thought. His online eulogy will be on TPI.com.

Paul Gomez 3347596218_d224b53179

Quote :
I first met Paul in Cobourg, Canada. He struck me as a ferociously well read, thorough, methodical man. His impish sense of humour permeated his being – at any one time in Paul's company I was either being educated or entertained. Drinking good liquor, usually well fed, I sat and listened to Paul speak authoritatively on topics as diverse as the Bowie knife and John Boyd's intellectual legacy. Paul seemed to read and read and read, yet always proclaimed his ignorance where knowledge was uncertain by the slightest margin. In spite of his modesty, whatever pretensions I had toward intelligence were usually put into perspective by a brief conversation with Paul. He wore his intelligence lightly, and delighted in sharing his knowledge with others. His enthusiasm in sharing made friends of everyone. I don't recall meeting anyone who ever had a bad word to say about Paul. If I ever do, I doubt I'll think much of them.

I remember his addiction to Diet Pepsi. He had a palate that ranked among the finest noses in the western hemisphere for sugar additives. Within ten yards of exiting a drive-thru, he slammed on the brakes and reversed to the window, emphatically stating that his soda was normal pepsi and not the diet variety he had requested. I doubt anyone else in the nation had won the grudging respect of so many fast food service staff for his discerning tastes. Not content with merely drinking the stuff, he regaled a privileged few with his niche-folk music. I remember being exposed to a song regarding the murderous anti-union practices of a large multi-national corporation while sat in the back seat of a car littered with the detritus of foods that were not exactly recommended by your friendly family doctor. Paul was a syntheist. The most disparate topics would weave together and fuse at the most unlikely junctures. Boyd mentioned snowmobiles as an example of unusual things being combined to arrive at unlikely solutions. Paul excelled in immersing himself in the arcane, the diaspora, the hidden and the plain damned odd. His was an agile mind and you had to run as fast as you could to keep up with Paul running at idle speed.

Another time, in Memphis, I think he gave me sanctuary at allowed me to share his hotel room at very short notice, owing to my inability to adequately plan anything. He ended up carting me back from the nearby strip club where I'd drank a shocking amount of single malt whisky. I woke in the middle of the night and vomited like movie special effect, resulting in a spectacular defilement of the bedding. Lying in the still-warm results of my wonderful night out, Paul unhesitatingly got everything stained with bile off my bed and person. He graciously surrendered the majority of his bedding and organised a laundry service for my clothes. I'm sure he slept cold that night as a result of his generous nature, and I'm fairly sure he never breathed a word about it, in spite of the rich seam of humour that might be mined. What a gent.

I remember that his focus on first aid and range safety was the most thorough I ever encountered, and that he pre-dated any fashionable focus. He had a knack for bringing his focus to bear upon the parts of the curriculum that we might pass over in the mistaken belief that there was nothing to gain from further study, as displayed in his Robust Pistol Manipulations syllabus. I am bitterly sorry that I never had the opportunity to train under Paul formally and have the opportunity to quiz him extensively as to the rationale behind his methods. The community has lost a fine mind in Paul, a keen and incisive intellect that never failed to provoke thought and nudge important questions to the fore. More importantly, we have lost a good man. I looked forward to meeting Paul whenever I went to the States. He guaranteed good conversation and wit, I can honestly say that I never counted a minute in his company as a minute wasted. I mourn his passing and consider this world a poorer place for his absence.

I've raised a 21 year old Old Pulteney in your memory, Paul. You deserve no less, my friend.

Goodbye, Paul. I'll miss you, mate.

Back to top Go down
Random

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-07-20

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jun 2012, 09:33

So sad to hear about this.

Through the years, I've read his posts on TPI and seen his YouTube videos with great interest, always impressed by his deep knowledge and no-nonsense attitude. He was at the top of my rather short People-I'd-Like-To-Meet-Someday list.

The community has lost greatly by his passing.

Random
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jun 2012, 10:40

I never actually met Paul, and that was my loss. We corresponded by email back when we were both members of the old SD Forum. He was a very generous man, and twice sent me gifts of items he knew I would be interested in.
Paul Gomez was an instructor who refused to accept orthodoxy, and constantly tested the material. In my opinion his contribution to the sphere of firearms training will become more and more apparent.
When Slacky phoned me last night to pass on the news of Paul's sudden death I was shocked and saddened. It still hasn't fully sunk in. CheckOUt his material on TPI and Youtube, it's a treasure-trove.
Paul was a member here too, and his death leaves a void in our community.
RIP Paul.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
thebristolbloke

thebristolbloke

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jun 2012, 20:51

Paul was one of the few people i'd not met in real life who I allowed into my real life. He was always a gent and a scholar.

Among the things the once sent to me was an SBS manual. Long since passed on it was much appreciated for the article I was writing at the time.

My thoughts to his family.

RIP mate.

phil

Serge

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2007-07-22

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeWed 06 Jun 2012, 11:56

I just saw these words published today by the Dalaï Lama . The synchronicity of both events, the sudden death of our companion and the publications, is like a sign coming for us, from both men. From the living ones, and from the place where Paul and many others have now found answers.

They suit Paul very well :

Dalai Lama - 6th June 2012 :

Given the scale of life in the cosmos, one human life is no more than a tiny blip. Each one of us is a just visitor to this planet, a guest, who will only stay for a limited time.
What greater folly could there be than to spend this short time alone, unhappy or in conflict with our companions ?

Far better, surely, to use our short time here in living a meaningful life, enriched by our sense of connection with others and being of service to them.

This is how I will remember him. I have the feeling that he would agree, wearing one of his shirts, hat's on, a malicious smile on his face ...

Never the less, the sad news is just unacceptable for all of us. So young was he.
Back to top Go down
Giles
Instructor

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeWed 06 Jun 2012, 17:06

Sad news. RIP Paul, and my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Giles
Back to top Go down
Teapot
VIP

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2007-07-20

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jun 2012, 17:50

Quote :
I never actually met Paul, and that was my loss.

and therein lies a message for all of us. Don't put off with meeting and training with people on your bucket list. Life is way too short and, even though you might be around for a while, they may not.

Like Den, I always planned to catch up with Paul and do some training and never got around to it. My loss.

Teapot
Back to top Go down
Michael

Michael

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-07-29

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jun 2012, 22:45

I had the good fortune to meet Paul on several occasions, a couple of times in Memphis and once in my home town when SN and he came for In Extremis knife and some CQC training. I did not know him well, but followed his career with great interest and always came away learning something. He had a way of taking the complex and breaking it apart and making it simple and fullproof enough that anyone could understand it. He has left a void in the training world, and was a quality human being as well. He will be missed.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Number of posts : 1447
Registration date : 2008-02-20

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeSat 09 Jun 2012, 11:45

I didn't know Paul but knew of him...what the hell happened??? He was a young man...
Back to top Go down
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/iccf/
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeSat 09 Jun 2012, 11:56

Quote :
.what the hell happened??? He was a young man...

Too many of the good guys left early; for example Peter Robins and Bob Kasper. And now Paul. It's a tragedy.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Michael

Michael

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-07-29

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jun 2012, 02:45

kilogulf59 wrote:
I didn't know Paul but knew of him...what the hell happened??? He was a young man...

I know, but am not sure I have the liberty to say just yet. Let's just say it was a medical issue.
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Memorial training event   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeTue 31 Jul 2012, 09:34

From the guys at TPI:

PAUL-E-PALOOZA 2012

A Memorial Training Conference
To Benefit the Children of Our Great Friend Paul E. Gomez

Saturday and Sunday, August 18-19, 2012
8:00am to 5:15 pm daily
Raven Concealment Systems Range
Garrettsville, OH

Please direct all inquiries to paul.e.palooza@gmail.com

PAUL-E-PALOOZA 2012 FACULTY AND COURSE LIST

COMBATIVES
(4 2-hour blocks each day)

1. Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC)
Craig Douglas (aka Southnarc), ShivWorks

2. Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC)
Craig Douglas (aka Southnarc), ShivWorks

3. Combative Use of The Small Knife: ‘Cuz Every Little Bit Helps
Chris Fry, Modern Defensive Training Systems
Course covers reverse-edge methods and applications of the small, fixed-blade knife, focusing on support hand integration, hooking, force multiplication, and use of the knife to escape from grabs and the clinch.

4. Truly Offensive Combatives: Lessons from a Non-Permissive Nation
Pete Morgan (aka Slackbladder), ShivWorks UK and CQB Services

5. Usage of the TDI Knife
Greg Ellifritz, Tactical Defense Institute

6. The Role of Submissions in The Combatives Environment
Aaron Little, Performance Edge

7. The Fence and Initiative: All Your Stand-Up Technique Are Ours...
Paul Sharp, Sharp MMA and ShivWorks

8. Crazy Monkey Defense: Introduction to Fistic Badassery
Larry Lindemann, IL State Police and Int’l Global Lindemann Worldwide

LIVEFIRE
(4 2-hour blocks each day)

Please note that all live fire courses require quality gear (good mag carriers, safe holsters, etc.) and plenty of spare magazines; eye protection required and electronic hearing protection recommended; note-taking materials are welcome. If you show up unprepared, you slow everyone’s learning process.
Rule #1: Don’t be “THAT GUY”.....
Rule #>1: Live by Rule #1

1. Combative Carbine: Bring It, Run It Hard, Master It!
Jeremy Decker, Tactical Defense Institute
200 rounds required
Reliable carbine, plenty of magazines, and a modern sling required.

2. Fighting Pairs: BUG and Pistol Tactics, Manipulations, and Shooting Tips
Michael DeBethencourt, snubtraining.com
Bobby Mac, bobmacs.com
75 pistol/75 snub revolver rounds required
Live pistol with matching inert pistol required with belt holster; J-frame or equivalent sized snub with pocket holster required (some available for loan)

3. Combative Koan: What Is the Sound of One Hand Shooting?
Chris Fry, Modern Defensive Training Systems
200 rounds required

4. Neural Based Shooting & Accelerated Learning Techniques
Jeff Bloovman, Armed Dynamics, LLC
100 rounds required
Professional athletes and Delta Force operators alike are using creative visualization techniques to reduce reaction time and increase skill retention. Attendees will be exposed to cutting edge training techniques that they can then incorporate into their individual practice regimens. Topics covered include: creative visualization techniques, increasing visual-kinesthetic memory, and practical incorporation of skills into dry practice.

5. The Evolution of Drawstroke
Spencer Keepers, AwarenessDefense Training
250 rounds required
How to improve constancy and speed in your drawstroke? Damn, dude, I thought you’d never ask...

6. Maximizing Your Time And Resources
Tom Givens, Rangemaster
200 rounds required
Students will fire several drills using unique targets and drills designed to derive the maximum benefit from limited range time and ammunition. Need sidearm, holster, at least one magazine pouch, at least two magazines, and 2 dummy rounds.

7. FISTFIRE Concepts in ECQC
Paul Sharp, Sharp MMA and ShivWorks
300 rounds required
Handgun strikes are included in this block of instruction therefore a serviceable and safe handgun with a holster that permits safe one handed re-holstering is mandatory; EDC spare mag(s) carry system. A fixed blade/trainer is also recommended as an edged weapon will be required for several drills.
Also recommended; A Viking-esque beard, enough testosterone to make Gandhi want to throat punch a fool, the ability to focus intensely on the task at hand giving the study and development of this skill-set within the ECQC challenge the diligence it deserves, and most of all a sense of humor.

8. Combat Accuracy: The Balance of Speed & Precision (Sat. AM)
Rob Pincus, I.C.E. Training
200 rounds required

CLASSROOM BLOCKS
(7 2-hour, 1 4-hour block on Saturday; 8 2-hour blocks Sunday)

1. Gomez-Inspired Pistol Modifications
Taylor Mock, Texas Brigade Armory

2. Gomez and Carry Gear: His Influence on History and Systems
Tom Fineis, Raven Concealment Systems
Michael Goerlich, Raven Concealment Systems

3. Toward An Epistemological Study of Jeff Cooper
Shane Gosa, Americus Training Group
At the age of fifteen, Shane had the unique fortune to have been personally trained in the “Modern Technique” by the Gunner's Guru himself. They stayed in contact for over ten years. Six months of this time Shane spent with with the Colonel at the Sconce absorbing all knowledge and skills he could, to include rare insights into who Jeff Cooper really was. This relationship
started as a student-mentor role, but ended in a once-in-a-lifetime friendship. This is their story. The presentation will include rare film and photographs, as well as, on-site personal weapons and gear of the Colonel's.

4. Protecting Your Family
Claude Werner, Firearms Safety Training, LLC

5. The FBI’s Miami Firefight: Lessons That Still Resonate
John Hearne, Rangemaster and DVCtargets.com
This course will offer a comprehensive analysis of one of the most significant and influential gunfights of the late twentieth century: the FBI-Miami Firefight. *Topics addressed include: tactics and weapons used, profiles of the officers involved, psychological examination of the offenders, unique site characteristics, and
significant lessons learned.

6. Rangemaster Students 58/Bad Guys 2: How and Why Our Students Continually Win Fights
Tom Givens, Rangemaster
Lively power point lecture which examines the nature of the threat for the armed citizen or off-duty officer and how to structure training to counter that threat successfully.

7. Fatal Choices: Some of What We Know About Victim Selection
William Aprill, Rangemaster and Fight Concepts, LLC

8. Major Hemorrhage Control: Tools and Techniques for Plugging Unfortunate Leaks
Caleb Causey, Lone Star Medics

9. Hemostatic Agents: Myths, Lies, Facts and Applications
Morgan Atwood, BFElabs.com
Ian Wendt, Special Circumstances, Inc.

10. Medical Emergency, Officer Safety and Face-Eating Zombies: Understanding
Excited Delirium
Chuck Haggard, Topeka, KS, PD

11. Fit to Fight: Nutrition and Conditioning Like A Boss
Larry Lindemann, IL State Police and Int’l Global Lindemann Worldwide

12. Live a Life Worth Defending
Shay VanVlymen, mindsetlab.com

13. Boyd and Buddhism: Meditation & Accelerating the OODA Loop
Jay Hinton

14. Paul Gomez: Analytical Eclectic
Andy Stanford, Options for Personal Security

15. How We Live, How We Die: Tactical Anatomy & Physiology with
Preserved Tissue Lab (4-hour block)
Dr. Keith Brown
Dr. Sherman House

NOTE: This course is limited to the first 20 registrants.
Because of the high cost of tissue samples used in the examinations, registrants will be responsible for an additional donation of $25.

This 4-hour block taught by Dr. House (THE SHERMINATOR) and Dr. Brown (RESQDOC) will focus on the what, where and why of the human body’s critical systems with total emphasis on placement of directed kinetic energy for immediate incapacitation, avoiding same, and why our treatment priorities are what they are. There

will be extensive HANDS ON dissection and demonstration of preserved animal tissues. This is a rare opportunity to learn what is behind the 5-B’s and see for yourself how air goes in & out, blood goes round and round, and the brain and spinal cord runs our beautiful machine. All supplies are provided; please bring some exam or kitchen gloves.

The course will cover:
Human Anatomy Review PPT
How We Live PPT
How We Die PPT
Fetal Pig Dissection
Organ Set Dissection
Instructor Demos
--------------------------------------

What an amazing program. Anyone who can make it to Ohio should attend, for exceptional training, in a very good cause.

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Number of posts : 1447
Registration date : 2008-02-20

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeTue 31 Jul 2012, 14:49

Thanks Den, I'm spreading the word here...
Back to top Go down
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/iccf/
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Paul Gomez Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gomez   Paul Gomez Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug 2012, 10:40

We have started a thread for the AAR here

Dennis Martin
----------------