Dennis Martin's Combatives Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dennis Martin's Combatives Community

Good mannered discussion on contemporary self protection

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008

Go down 
+20
Lynx
poissonbracket
Random
Rorschach
Slackbladder
Nick Engelen
DaveB
DenisMc
Chris S
Simonds
simon porter
Dave McC
johnbrawn
Ben
MancPete
To
Dennis
Sijkd1
jimmyfatwing
philw
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
philw
Instructor

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2007-07-20

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Empty
PostSubject: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug 2008, 22:28

Bar cross-posting, it seems I'm the first to post on this. Hurrah!

For me this was a mix of great enjoyment: at seeing friends again, and doing some great training; and envy: at missing what was promising to be a great second day. Thanks to Den, as ever, for bringing together such a fantastic group of guys; to Si, for keeping it all running, and his boringly usual superb instruction; to all the other instructors for their fun and thought-provoking inputs; and to everyone else for putting in the effort and time to make it all worthwhile.

Now, what date did you say 2009's was going to be?
Back to top Go down
jimmyfatwing
Instructor
jimmyfatwing

Number of posts : 801

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 09:18

Indeed....had a great day Saturday and I'm sure that Sunday carried on, with a little added 'stress' at the end of the day!!

As ever things to take a away and try / think about, plus a few new bits of paper to clutter up my flat....the other half loves it!!!

As to the performance of the people running through the various drills - outstanding, and awe inspiring...with a dashing of feminine fire in there that made me glad i wasn't on the receiving end.

Si - they never got us on the drive home...we were like uber-cunning-invisible-ninja ;0)
Back to top Go down
http://www.jimmy-fatwing.co.uk
Sijkd1
Instructor
Sijkd1

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 09:44

What an awesome weekend. That was really a great effort and an honour to be involved again

Great group of old and new faces.....great sessions....thanks to all the instructors!!!

Big thanks to Den for putting it on and Richie for photoing it!

Great to see Paddy lecturing again with us....brilliant stuff!!!

Jim - my copper is, indeed, useless! We'll get you next time!

Really big thanks to all my friends around the country and out of the country for making that a special weekend!

Cheers,

Si
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 11:16

Sincere thanks to all those involved.
Firstly, to the superb cadre of instructors who contributed their time, effort and expertise to produce such an intensive and varied program.

Here's the team, pictured on the Saturday....

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 DSgroup-secure-s
[Denis, Carlo, Dave, Tony, James [kneeling], Ian, Si, Larry, John, Phil and Den]
Missing from the pic is Paddy Phillips, who flew back a day early from his family holiday to be with us on the Sunday session.

Thanks too to all the lads and girls who travelled from Sweden, Italy, Belgium, Ireland and all parts of the K to attend. Their enthusiasm makes this event really special. The comment I heard time and time again, was "what a great group of people"
Richie worked tirelessly over the weekend, taking photos and videos with an array of equipment which wouldn't have been out of place on the set of a Hollywood movie.
I'll be postimng loads more photos, and cajoling Slacky into penning a full overview, but here's the first....

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 JohnBrawnkneestrike-s
[John Brawn powers in with a kneestrike during his presentation]

More later
Cheers,

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
To
Instructor

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 11:46

The 6th International was yet another brilliant experience with lots to take away, think about, learn and digest. Big thanks & praise to all the instructors – John Brawn (my jaw’s still aching), Carlo, Phil and James (for their intro to bondage), Dave and Dennis, Larry, Paddy Phillips (for his amazing ‘sourcery’) and of course Si for his herculean efforts in the suit, and Den for yet again putting together an amazing programme. My only regret was not being able to make the Sunday scoff, which is always a great end to the day and where I’m sure just as much info was exchanged.
Finally, I’d just like to thank everyone who attended for giving 100 percent, having an open mind, and making it such a great event. It really is the great attitude of all present that makes the International such a brilliant experience.
Back to top Go down
MancPete
Instructor
MancPete

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 13:25

I would also like to add my thanks to all the instructors on the day some really insightful information was passed on through every section and jimmy's tactical gravel is still I believe available at a reasonable price.

It was a great weekend and it is the participants as well as the instructors that make it great, so thanks to everyone there.

Ultimately thanks to Den for taking the time to organise the weekend.

Cheers

Peter
Back to top Go down
Ben
Instructor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-07-26

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 14:57

Thanks Den, all the instructors and all the participants.
I sat out most of the physical stuff due to injury but nonetheless had a great weekend and came away inspired and full of new ideas and information.
See you all next time,
Ben
Back to top Go down
johnbrawn
VIP

Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 15:38

Hi Guys,

The websites for the foam rollers is www.physique.co.uk and the strong bands are www.lifelineusa.com, hope this is a help more to come.

Cheers

John
Back to top Go down
Dave McC
Instructor
Dave McC

Number of posts : 1158

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 15:38

Guys and Girls another Great session led by Den and Si.
Thanks again to every one for there support.
I never tire of the great information which is available at these events.
The masses of information people have is great and there willingness to share this advice.
As mentioned in another thread the fitness is incredible.
Also Gutterfighter Si (I don’t think he is on the web could some one please pass this on to him) his scouse sense of humour and kindest especially after he just battered you is not to be missed.

Cheers

Dave McC
Back to top Go down
simon porter
Instructor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2007-08-01

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 18:04

I am on the web dave thanks for the kind words, always good to be appreciated. Thanks for a great time, lots of information to digest. It was good to see everyone again. Thanks go to den for organizing these bashes and thanks to si for not bashing me up.
Back to top Go down
Sijkd1
Instructor
Sijkd1

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 19:58

Erm, Si, I wish I could thank you for the same.
Back to top Go down
Simonds
Instructor

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 20:04

Thanks to Den and all the instructors for a brilliant weekend. Great to chat with /train with the regulars from the across the country and abroad and to see some new faces. Si did a brilliant job in the suit especially considering the temperature of the room. looking forward to the next one.

Steven
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Instructor

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-09-04

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Sep 2008, 21:50

Hi guys,

I'd like to say thanks to everyone for making the weekend so enjoyable. I had a great time and learned a great deal, not just from the drills but from talking to everyone in between, at the dinner/breakfast table and everywhere else.
Particular thanks to Den for organising it, all the instructors for their presentations and a completely removed hat to Si and his badass stamina in that suit.
I need to get fitter for the next one!

Chris S
Back to top Go down
Dennis
Admin
Dennis

Number of posts : 9909
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Sep 2008, 10:42

Here's the list of topics covered at the seminar....

SATURDAY SCHEDULE
Training the Mindset by Den [PowerPoint presentation]

Combative Conditioning by the Liverpool Gutterfighters

360 DRILL = Tony Da Costa

EMBUGGERANCE DRILLS by JAMES F

Lunch

COMBATIVE CONDITIONING; USE OF EQUIPMENT PART ONE
Power bands, Roller,, Rehab training, plus Doorman techniques; by John Brawn

CAR CRASH COMBATIVES by Phil W

NLP SKILLS FOR COMBATIVES = Tony Da Costa + Ian Davies

COMBATIVE THROWS by Si Squires

STRETCHING/ Cool down

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 JohnAndersNick-s
[John from Ireland, Nick from Belgium, Anders from Sweden]

SUNDAY PROGRAM

KNIFE FIGHTING by Carlo

MAINTAINING THE FITNESS, plus CIRCLE OF EXCELLENCE by Paddy Phillips

TRAINING THE CORE by Den

THE FOREIGN LEGION DRILL by Den
COMBATIVE CONDITIONING USING EQUIPMENT PART 2= Larry
GRAPPLING TECHNIQUES by Dave Mc and Denis Mc
HI-STRESS SCENARIO TRAINING by Si Squires

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 CarloandSipads-s
[Carlo from Italy, and Si training together]

Dennis Martin
----------------
DenCQB@Yahoo.co.uk
Back to top Go down
https://combatives.forumotion.com
DenisMc
Instructor

Number of posts : 228

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Sep 2008, 11:36

As usual I thoroughly enjoyed everything about the weekend.

There was an unbelievable amount of information presented and some innovative but well grounded drills. As Chris said, much learning came in the breaks or at meals and also a lot of laughs

I always come away feeling positive about the whole experience. I recognise areas where I need to improve but feel motivated to tackle these rather than feel daunted at the prospect.

Thanks to Den for putting together a full, varied and always interesting programme, as usual. Si, for not only performing heroics in the suit but also for his enthusiasm and help at all times. Of course everyone contributes hugely to the weekend by their commitment and good humour.

Denis
Back to top Go down
DaveB

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Sep 2008, 12:49

Got to agree with everyone it was an awesome weekend.

It allways find it amazing that you can have so many people in such a small hot stinking room purposely creating massive amounts of aggression and practicing extreme forms of violence for hours on end and yet a nicer bunch of people you will never meet. It truely is an honour to train with just such a group.

Loads of really usefull information (that I intend to shamelessly steal and use with my classes and clients) from some of the finest instructors.

My personal favourites were tony and ians nlp module and the rehab stuff paddy did. Not to mention Si in the suit. the mans a machine!!

Of course a massive thanks has to go to Den because without him it would never have happened.

Cheers guys
hope to train with you all again next year.
Dave
Back to top Go down
http://www.knucklebutty.com
Nick Engelen

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Sep 2008, 17:47

Hi Guys,

It was a very good weekend. It was very nice to see you guys and girls again.

For the people intrested in Boyd I found a link:

http://www.d-n-i.net/dni/john-r-boyd/

Kind Regards,

Nick Engelen
Back to top Go down
johnbrawn
VIP

Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Hi Guys   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Sep 2008, 17:54

Hi,

Just to say a big thanks to Dennis for his hospitality and thanks to Si for the lift home from the hotel.

Its great to see the old faces again and to meet new friends too. i will be posting the leg circuit with photos as soon as I can and the book recomendations as well.

Cheers
John
Back to top Go down
Slackbladder
Instructor
Slackbladder

Number of posts : 681
Registration date : 2007-07-21

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Sep 2008, 18:01

Guys, if anyone can remember topics of discussion around the table during "downtime", please PM me and give me a condensed version so I can ensure a decent overview of the post-scoff-review. The topics of conversation were many and varied (ranging from the comedic value of enraged freefalling chimpanzees to the gradual encroachment of Mexico's civil war into the Southern USA) and my short term memory is appalling.
Back to top Go down
Rorschach

Rorschach

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-07-27

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Sep 2008, 08:35

Hi guys,
I hope you had a good time. It's a shame I couldn't join you.

Stephan
Back to top Go down
Random

Number of posts : 46

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Sep 2008, 11:40

Hi and a big thank you to all involved with making the 6: th International such a blast!

I sat at the airport waiting for my flight home to Sweden with a fat lip, a throbbing knee, various aches and bruises topped off by a silly grin. Completely and utterly content, floating in a post-adrenal reverie, realising that there is probably few other places in the world where you can find some of the best instructors, the nicest bunch of people and top notch Combatives training, all at once and for a mere pittance.

The theory, the NLP, the physio and fitness stuff, all world class. The combative techniques, taught by men who’ve used them for real, excellent. The Stress Test, scary but probably the single most important thing anyone can ever do to validate their training. Si, you are the MAN!!

All of the above would be like brussel sprouts; more good for you than fun, if it weren’t for the people attending. One would be hard pressed to find more dedicated, supportive, fun and fascinating bunch of guys and girls anywhere on the planet.

Lastly, big thank you to Dennis, for making this happen.

Anders

PS. Slack and Chris, let’s make it our common goal to introduce The Surprise Monkey ™ into all forms of celebrity based entertainment. Suddenly, out it pops and eats your face. Good, clean fun for the whole family.
Back to top Go down
poissonbracket
Instructor
poissonbracket

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Thanks   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Sep 2008, 11:48

Thanks to Den and all the instructors and participants. It was my first International but it won't be the last. I had a great time and learned a lot. Took days to stop buzzing; on monday my aching body was in work but my mind was still fighting the suit. Thanks again.

Mark
Back to top Go down
Nick Engelen

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeFri 05 Sep 2008, 19:49

The seminar was held in the Prescot Leisure centre in Prescot Merseyside on the 30th and 31st of August 2008.

I had travelled to Liverpool on Friday the 29th. After a long trip I finally arrived in the hotel where I, after I had checked in, found John Brawn from Ireland, Anders from Sweden and Slackbladder round a table. A quick search around in the pub turned out that more of my friends like Dave and Den from Scotland were scattered around the pub. We soon organized ourselves together with some nice drinks.

SATURDAY PROGRAM

Next morning after breakfast we travelled to the Prescot Leisure centre. Inside the venue was an air of excitement. I hadn’t see most of these people since the last international and I was happy to see them again after such a long time. I was also pleased to see some new faces. Immediately after arriving and saying hello to each other people started to swap and share stuff like copies of books and DVD’s etc… It’s always nice to look at such a bunch of merry people having a great time.

After everyone had paid and the equipment was set-up the seminar started.

The seminar kicked off with an intro by Den.

This year it was the 6th international with people coming from all over Europe from countries like Ireland, Sweden, Italy, Scotland, and England of course and I came from Belgium.

Most of us turned out to be veterans of the international seminars with only two people that did all five and two that were there for the first time.

TRAINING THE MINDSET
Den proceeded with an audiovisual presentation about the practical aspects of training the mindset.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Denlecture-richie
[Den during his Powerpoint presentation]

For everything we do we need to get into the right frame of mind first. This also goes for being able to defend ourselves. Den explained Cooper’s colour-code and Boyd’s OODA loop and explained how it fits together.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Powerpointslide-1
Den told us that this information was going to be important and would come back in the scenario drill at the end of the course.

PHYSICAL TRAINING
After sitting for so long we went into the physical side of thing with a warm up by the Gutterfighters.

Now we were warmed up Tony Da Costa took us through the 360 degrees drill.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Tony360drill-1edit-R
[Tony Da Costa introduces the 360 Drill]

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Denis360dril-R
[Denis McGee during the 360 drill]

EMBUGGERANCE TRAINING
Next guest instructor was James Fatwing who presented several “Embuggerance drills”. We had to perform drills while being restricted in our walking, vision and breathing.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Jamesresidrill-R
[James introduces some "embuggerance"]

The drills had in mind to teach us to keep going no matter what restrictions we had like a busted ankle, sprained wrist, a bad cold or being sprayed with teargas.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Jamesresistrikedrill-s
[James during his "resi-drill"]

After this interesting morning we had a short lunch break in which we could eat, rehydrate and cool down as the room’s temperature and humidity was high.

COMBATIVE CONDITIONING
Fed and rested we were ready for John Brawn’s module on Combative Conditioning and the use of equipment. John Brawn is Ireland’s leading self-protection instructor and is known for his physical conditioning with the use of kettle bells.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Johnroller-s
[John Brawn shows the roller]

John explained a lot about how to improve flexibility with simple tools like a golf ball. He also explained various drills about how to improve strength with the use of elastic bands. In between the demonstrations he also showed us some very nice doorman tricks which we could practice. Some involved pressure points which were fun to do.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 JohnpaincomplianceonSi-s
[John demonstrates pain compliance on Si]

CLOSE-IN FIGHTING
This was followed up with a module by Phil W. on car crash combatives. Like a car crash a fight is most of the time unplanned, confusing and disorienting.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Phildemonstrates
[Phil introduces his close-quarter module]

We did several drills involving clinch work, knives, etc… The drills were very fun to do and a real eye-opener.

NEURAL BASED TRAINING
On 2005’s International we had the pleasure to meet and train with Marcus Wynne who is a leading person in the field of Neural based instruction. After that cracking seminar many people showed interest in Neural Based learning. To meet this interest Tony Da Costa and Iain Davies presented a very interesting module on NLP skills for combatives. The module went into accessing and anchoring an aggressive state involving a series of visualization exercises and drills on the pads. Den who overviewed the module as an onlooker said afterwards that he was very impressed by the results and told us that at the end the aggression went out of the roof.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Gilespadedit-R
[Giles whaling away during the Neural-based application]

THROWS
This brought us into combat throws presented by Simon Squires who has a background in many martial arts including judo. Often people try to do a judo sweep or other throw on a person who is standing as strong as a rock. This of course will not work and also will throw you off balance yourself. He then showed us some throws and how to do them properly after bringing the opponent out of balance.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 PhilthrowsSiwithBumlift-s
[Phil throws Si]

After this hard day of training we stretched ourselves as we wanted to be able to train next day without walking around like 80 year old grandpas too much.

This concluded a very good first day’s training session.

POST TRAINING SCOFF
We followed tradition by going for an after training scoff at one of Den’s favourite Chinese restaurants. The food was good, the Chinese beer tasted great, the waitresses looked gorgeous and I had good conversations with a great bunch of people.

The way to and from the scoff was also great, never knew a conversation with a taxi driver could be so interesting.

Back at the hotel we had a couple of drinks before retreating for the night.

This was a very nice way to conclude day one of a great weekend.

SUNDAY PROGRAM

KNIFE FIGHTING
On Sunday morning the seminar started with a presentation about Combative Knife work by our Italian friend and guest instructor Carlo.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 CarloneckstabonDenis-s
[Carlo demonstrates on Denis Mc]

After a very interesting audiovisual presentation Carlo took us through some drills to get familiarized with the angles where after we practiced some sequences on how to use the blade on a not cooperating opponent.

PREVENTING INJURY
Next presentation was by Paddy Philips, an osteopath and physiotherapist who has treated lots of professional athletes [including Terry O’Neill] for their sports injuries. Paddy explained about how a problem in the lower back can cause more problems elsewhere in the body as you try to relieve the pain. Paddy explained that being well balanced costs the least energy while having a little imbalance causes the body to compensate, straining certain muscle groups which cause pain as a result.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 PaddyworkingonSidemo-R
[Paddy explains how to prevent/remedy injuries on Si]

In between explanations and demonstrations Paddy took us trough a range of exercises to stretch calf muscles as well as shoulders.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Paddyclassexercise-R
[The class try an exercise under the supervision of Paddy]

Paddy also took us through an NLP exercise called the circle of excellence in which we anchored a desired state. For me it was aggression as I knew it would be handy at the end of the day.

One of the final exercises that Paddy showed us was a core strengthening exercise. This connected well with the next module about core stability by Dennis Martin himself. In this module Den showed us various exercises like “the plank” and “Extended push ups” which was very hard to perform.

Then it was time for the more physical side of things and Den took us through a warm-up exercise called the “Foreign Legion drill” which was inspired by a documentary movie.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Ben360drill-R
[Ben during the Foreign Legion drill]

The drill consists out of doing various exercises like push-ups, tumbles, running and jumping on the spot while at the same time striking the pads when they were presented.

COMBATIVE STRENGTH TRAINING
This took us into a module on Combative conditioning with equipment by Larry. Larry demonstrated various drills with medicine balls and sandbags. This lead into a drill we had to thank Alan Becket for.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Larrymedicineball-s
[Larry discusses medicine ball training]

DIRTY JUDO
Now we were sweating and having our heart rates up we got a cracking module on grappling presented by Dave and Denis from Scotland.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 DenisandDavegrappling
[Denis demonstrates on Dave]

The room was hot already and wearing a gi top was making it even more uncomfortable. The drills were about escaping headlocks, pins and strangleholds.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 DavedemonstratesonDenis
[Dave shows dirty fighting on Denis]

HIGH-STRESS SCENARIO

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Siinsuitbriefing-2
[Si briefing the group]

All this cumulated into the last drill which was as always the cherry on the ice cake. While waiting on the corridor, preparing ourselves mentally, Tony Da Costa and Iain Davies came to help us getting into the right state.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Wolfieforwarddrive-R
[A superb example of forward drive from Wolfie]

Waiting in the corridor for my turn to come seemed like hours. I was relieved when it was my turn. I stepped into the room and scanned around while I ran to the DS who put me trough a series of anaerobic exercises till the man in the F.I.S.T. suit attacked me. A couple of head strikes brought him to his knees where after I followed it up with a kick to the head which finished him. The Samurai used to have a saying that you should fasten your helmet straps after the battle… In Africa they say that it’s the dead lion that gets up and eats you. I was in for a surprise as well which I dealt with… When the second fight was over the sign was given that meant that this exercise was over. After getting my breath back and receiving congratulations and feedback, I enjoyed watching the last few people going trough similar scenarios as I did.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Karengroundsuitfight-R
[Karen fights on the ground]

This concluded a second great day.

After the training we went for a Chinese meal. The conversations were interesting and about all kinds of subjects.

Five of us were staying in Liverpool for the night. Back at the hotel we had another drink at the hotel bar and talked until the barmaid kicked us out.

Next morning at breakfast we had another couple of hours to talk about various subjects, mainly books and movies.

After packing and checking out we said our goodbyes where after Slacky and I went to Liverpool city centre for a coffee with Den. Not long after we finally found the cavern coffee bar, which I recommend to everyone who visits Liverpool, Den arrived together with Tommy McNally. It was a nice conversation about the seminar and there were many stories about Terry O’Neil and Garry Spiers. After finishing our coffee Slack, Den and I walked trough the city visiting bookshops and drinking coffee talking about various subjects until it was time for me to go back to the airport.

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 SP_A0011
[Slacky and Nick with one of the SuperLambananas]

At the train station we said our goodbyes. On my way back to the airport and at the airport I could practice my observation skills at some female travellers.

It was a cracking weekend with good instructors, very interesting subjects covered, fantastic drills, interesting conversations, delicious food and a bunch of great people to share all with.

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend.
Back to top Go down
Lynx

Lynx

Number of posts : 187

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Sep 2008, 06:48

Oh, it seems like you all had a very good time, as usual. I'm sorry I couldn't be there. I'm however very pleased to see another Swede was there to defend our colours...

Very well written review, Nick.
Back to top Go down
DenisMc
Instructor

Number of posts : 228

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 13:45

Superb review, as always, Nick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6th International Combatives Seminar 2008   6th International Combatives Seminar 2008 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

6th International Combatives Seminar 2008
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next